MoPar sales filmstrips

MarcDeSoto

I have a box full of old DeSoto and Plymouth filmstrips that were made for the sales room.  They are filmstrips announcing the new 1949 and 1950 models of DeSoto and Plymouth and comparison videos comparing the DeSoto with the Pontiac, Mercury, and other cars in its class.  But there are very few of these filmstrips on Youtube.  The only problem is I don't have the records that give them sound.  I would be willing to send my filmstrips to the Imperial Club who may volunteer to digitize them, and if someone has the records, we could put a whole productions together.  If I cant' get the records anywhere, maybe some kind of sound track could be made.  Any thoughts on this?  

• Thanks 1

I should say that these are not movies, but filmstrips.  The records that would have gone with them would be like this on Youtube:  It would take a lot of work for me to try to duplicate all the narration that is done on a filmstrip like this!  

The Imperial Club transferred my filmstrips on the MTSC Special kit A and A1 on the M-5 semi-automatic transmissions of 1946-48.  But because I have DeSoto and Plymouth filmstrips that don't relate to Imperial, they won't transfer these.  But I might still try to make my own just by running my projector and filming it.  

• Like 1

I too, have some non-Imperial film strips that I would like to transfer to YOuTube or other media where they can be useful. Does anyone have a line on what's the process for transferring? I suspect that hardest part is the film strip projector adapter.

I think I also may have a couple of sets with records and the booklets, etc but no film strip.

I also have an old VHS tape of the Ross Roy intro for the 1942 De Soto De Luxe model. I think I got this back in the early 90s. Wish I had the original record and film strip. Here I need instructions on how to hook up the VHS player to my lap top a nd what kind of file format to use.

Every once and awhile I wonder if somewhere in Detroit there sits a file cabinet full of paperwork somebody's Grandpa saved from Ross Roy where he worked. And in that paperwork is an index to all the Ross Roy filmstrip/record/booklet kits they produced for DDCP. We know there were dealer sales training kits for the sales force on the the different cars, but when were they first produced? We know that beginning in 47(?) the mechanics training sets began that are a great resource. Was anything comparable produced for 1942 and earlier models...

Thanks for starting this thread, Marc!

I have a few film strips for the 41.  I even have the records for a couple of them.

I talked to Gary who does the filmstrips for the Imperial club.  He used some kind of scanner to do it.  A low tech way to do it would be to project the filmstrips on a screen and make a video of it with the camcorder on a tripod so there is minimal shaking.  It's sad to see these filmstrips sit in a box when so many collectors would love to see them.  If have you a video tape of the 42 DeSoto, Costco can convert it to a DVD for you at a low cost.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Like 1

Are the film strips just 35mm film? If so I have a flatbed film scanner that can easily do this. Then it would be a matter of recording the audio and editing together with the images. I would enjoy any of the film strips pertaining to a P18. 

Edited by tjlarson88

3 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Chrysler ?

Mine are Plymouth. I’m in Colorado now, but when I get home next week I can check the titles.

Yes the filmstrips are 35mm film.  Costco will not take them because they do slides not filmstrips.  A lot of the MTSC filmstrips have poor sound, not because the record is worn out, but because the editor records it with a modern stereo cartridge.  I use an old school phonograph called a Califone which plays 16, 33, 45, and 78 speeds and has a flip cartridge for 78 or LP.  Sometimes the old RCA 33 rpm records sound much better with the 78 stylus.  

• Like 2

I also have a Ross Roy filmstrip record set.  It is for a 1942 Plymouth, which may be of interest to our P 14 and P15 members. I worked with the someone from the Imperial club in the SF Bay area a few years ago, and although there were able to transfer the 35mm filmstrips and add the sound from the record, apparently their stylus was not the correct one, because the sound is very tinny. I will post them to my Youtube channel, if there is interest, but I'd like to get a quality soundtrack synced up with the four strips. Because it is an oversized 16 rpm record, you need a larger special turntable to play them. My set came with a 9 page script dated 9-24-41, directed toward the dealer with "Special Instructions For Using the Plymouth Product Film". and includes four strips: 1) Engineered to Stay new, 2) Safety Preferred, 3) performance With Economy, and 4) Designed for Complete Comfort.

IMG_7212.JPG

• Like 1

I'm definitely interested in seeing these, and, yes, I know it's annoying when they have a poor sound track.  I didn't know Ross Roy made 16" records at 16 rpm.  My Califone record player can play a 16 rpm record.  Sometimes they sound better when played with a thicker 78 stylus too.  

Somewhere in my basement I have a working (at least when I stored it) record player/filmstrip projector that dealers used for these film strips. I need to dig it out. I know that one of my filmstrip/records is the dealer introduction to the 1954 DeSoto Coronado.

Hey 42, that would be quite an interesting filmstrip with the Coronado and its Hemi engine!  I heard somewhere that DeSoto in the fifties was going to bring out another model called the El Dorado.  But Cadillac was thinking of that name at the same time, and beat DeSoto to it!  El Dorado just sounds a little snazzier than La Salle.