Need creative thinking

JSabah

It seems my chrome shop has lost a small part that I believe were only found on the ‘49 Woodys (Plymouth). The part is a rosette that holds a rubber bumper so that the metal tailgate rests nicely on the rear bumper guards. I don’t think I’ll be able to find them so I’m looking for either how to have them made or???? Here is a picture of the piece on the bumper guard and a closeup... I need 2 ?

689EDA05-DDDB-4179-B6C7-F48D338D5FCD.jpeg

Edited by JSabah
Picture didn’t load

5 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

With some dimensions and pictures I might be able to 3d model it and then since it's small, I could get it 3d printed either in a stainless or say a brass infiltrated part that can then be polished up and chromed.

Similarly, once you have a 3d model you can take the output to a CNC machine shop and have them machined from billet  aluminum. Then either polish or have plated. For the rubber bumpers check out  RTV Urethane (http://www.uscomposites.com/moldmaking.html).  Make a simple mold and pour it in. I used Urethane to recast a set of unavailable motor mounts once with great success.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JSabah said:

That’s a great idea... and thanks for the offer. I didn’t know you can chrome printed pieces. Im letting him look a bit more bit I’ll start on drawing what I can. 

If it's printed directly as a metal, it is that metal. Get some dimensions together and I'll have a feel for the cost of printing. Machining might be cheaper, it all depends on the complexity of the part. Simple parts are better machined, complex parts are better printed.

Could you post a couple of better pictures or explain exactly where these go.

I have a 49 Plymouth Woody and I would like to compare what you need to what is on my car (or missing on mine, too).

You stated that there is a rubber bumper so that the tailgate can rest on the bumper guards.

This is confusing because the rear bumper is 3 pieces and the center section folds down so that the tailgate DOES NOT rest (or touch) on the bumper guards when the tailgate is lowered.

2 hours ago, joecoozie said:

Could you post a couple of better pictures or explain exactly where these go.

I have a 49 Plymouth Woody and I would like to compare what you need to what is on my car (or missing on mine, too).

You stated that there is a rubber bumper so that the tailgate can rest on the bumper guards.

This is confusing because the rear bumper is 3 pieces and the center section folds down so that the tailgate DOES NOT rest (or touch) on the bumper guards when the tailgate is lowered.

You  are correct in that the tailgate is not supposed to touch the bumper.... Maybe the designers included this piece in case someone forgot to fold down the bumper.  They were on my very original car and while I don't have my pictures with me at the moment (and can post better ones on Monday), I got these off the internet. 1st pic is supposed to say " missing" on the left and "there" on the right. Second pic shows the square hole in the bumperetts where it is supposed to attach with a small stove bolt 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by JSabah
Hadn't finished typing

Interior door panels are maple.  Rear side panel (which in not installed in the pictures) is also maple plywood and I veneered mahogany for the exterior.  Exterior door panels are exterior grade ply also with mahogany veneered. Frames are all Ash which was bleached along with old ash in order to get it all to match, then toned (diluted stain) and then all varnished ( initially I varnished all seperatly so that all interior edges and frames were well sealed....something like 6 or 8 coats while apart, then another 3 after assembly.

i like the color of your car.  I did a color change from maroon to an ivory/bone white (similar to your color).