desoto floor replacement

mfarrell

I'm working on a 47 Desoto club coupe. This is a new project for me and I'm not real familiar with 40's mopars (yet). The outer sections of floor are a little rough and need to be replaced. I found a junk yard floor in AZ for a four door. How much difference is there in the floor pan between a club coupe and 4 door? will the door pan work to replace the outer 12 inches or so of the floor in the coupe. Thanks for your advice. 

46-early 49 Dodge, Windsor, New Yorker and De Soto club coupe are all the same body from the firewall to the trunk lid.....Plymouth will not fit.

A 4 door De Soto is the same exact wheelbase as a club coupe for what little you need I say go for it. How about some pictures of the rotted areas.

Floor pans.... Chry, Desoto and Dodge 2 door/ 4 door........ if you carefully study them....are interchangeable. Go get that 4 door floor.

• Thanks 1

lots of floors look like that...sad part is...one so so collision and the seat is going to the driving force behind you as you get speared by the steering wheel and you head continues toward the windshield...yes I have seen the resulting damage done to such cars as seats tear their way through a compromised floor panel and the driver does suffer greatly from the force of the seat also....as Robert said, those rocker tops are eaten away also....rockers are available right inexpensive...floor panel patches are so super easy to make....full perimeter weld and you be solid...

PS let me clarify the rocker availability, they out there...if you expecting them not to have to be tweaked to some degree....do not purchase except NOS..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

This was my floor before and after repair. Driver's side was the worse of the two but passenger side still needed quite a bit of work. I was lucky that where the seat (single seat business coupe) bolted was in really good shape on both sides and I was able to use this area. You have more issues there. It is well worth your while to do the job properly for safety reasons as Tim mentions.

DSCN8727.JPG.e22b24756fb6faa5c158c950da2ef68f.JPG

DSCN9983.JPG.6d86ddf15ba78709baeed476212bcfe4.JPG

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

number of folks have voiced this concern...shame really...at one time I believe a member posted that he is a reseller and had listed the original maker of these parts...(maybe that is vice versa...I have never ordered from him or the other person)...maybe that info can be shared again.....  

4 minutes ago, mfarrell said:

yes the rockers are junk inner and outer. I'd like to get them from the Plymouth Doctor, but I have a hard time getting him to respond. 

I got quite a few of the pieces I needed from the Plymouth Doctor. He is hard to get hold of and expensive but his products fit very nicely. I dealt with him about 5-6 years ago.