Maintenance equipment advice

Recently came into a bit of money (sold the hunting camp) and looking to make my vehicle maintenance tasks a little easier.  Currently use a small SUV service jack and jack-stands to get the vehicle up to work on the brakes and get under the vehicle.  Too old and too fat for the constant getting up and down to place the jack, place the stand, then next wheel, place the jack, place the stand, etc,etc. Then still have to sit down on floor or on knees since not quite high enough to sit on rolling stool.  Looking for something easier and quicker.  Thought about a two post frame lift but not sure the garage floor is thick enough or properly re-barred for it.  Also may be looking for something a little more portable in case wanted to work in the driveway instead of the garage.  So I thought I'd put it out to you guys for your recommendations.  What do you use?  At this point I am leaning to the Quickjack 5000.  I like the idea that I could lift one side only.  Interested in what you guys use and what you would change if you could. Regards

the lighter lower cost scissors jack will work for the lighter smaller cars and in a facility where you have a low ceiling.   I prefer the four post lifts where you can roll these puppies around on the caster set.   I have had mine for years and it has allowed me to do a considerable amount of work mechanically, welding and body prep.    Again though, ceiling height is an issue.  A guy I know has one on a slab and keeps it out of doors with a canopy over it and a weather tight box for the power unit.   I am currently overhauling a large commercial four post lift to go inside the shop and will move my current smaller lift to a pad and canopy and slowly close it in as I discover my work needs.  Want it out there to get welding and body work out of my main building...it will meld in with my barn when complete.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

My recent lift purchase is 12,000 rated 4 poster with open front, two rolling bridge jacks, turn plates and slip plates...13' ceiling...its a monster compared to my other lift.  I wanted a second lift and figured I would go with the alignment model.  With open front...you are not as limited as the front and rear cross tube models.  But the killer to many folks is having the ceiling height to go 2/4 poster.

I have a 14,000 lb Bendpak 4 post with 2 rolling jacks,

A "Real" commercial grade American made Rotary 12,000 lb 4 poster lift... open front

and a rotary single post lift.

I also used a Rotary asymmetric 12,000 lb 2 post lift a lot working on 30's big classic cars. It's ok but...

You really have to be careful with longer wheel base cars especially when pulling engines, and rear axles,  the cars can get unbalanced and shift if not really careful about it.

Plus as you get older crawling on your hands and knees is something to think about.

I have a 8000lb quality lift (challenger). I roll outside when needed and with 10’ ceilings can still work under in my office chair. 

BrianIMG_0290.JPG.939979faebce5ee6ec5ce5e4c5b27bfe.JPG

Edited by sleepy
Picture insert