Mopar Hoarders...Good guys?

keithb7

Posted for sale locally here this week.

1951 218 engine. $100 CDN. That’s about $65 US funds.   

It’s a 218 ci 25” Canadian built block.  Was running when pulled. Certainly tempting to go grab it. Am I correct in that this block could be bored to a 250, or even a 265 size if one needed to?

Several parts should transfer over to my ‘53 265 engine. It’s difficult not to become a hoarder. How do you guys walk away from this stuff? Or do you just keep buying it and stacking it up out back? 

He’s also selling the matching 3 speed manual tranny for $50 CDN. Including clutch and bell housing. Right here in my back yard. No freight.....Sigh. 

If its something I see myself needing just a part of within a couple of years, and I have room for it, I pick it up. I have narrowed my focus down so I'm not buying every flathead mopar that pops up (only interested in the 25" motors..... or maybe a 30" if one pops up close).

10 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Posted for sale locally here this week.

1951 218 engine. $100 CDN. That’s about $65 US funds.   

It’s a 218 ci 25” Canadian built block.  Was running when pulled. Certainly tempting to go grab it. Am I correct in that this block could be bored to a 250, or even a 265 size if one needed to?

Several parts should transfer over to my ‘53 265 engine. It’s difficult not to become a hoarder. How do you guys walk away from this stuff? Or do you just keep buying it and stacking it up out back? 

He’s also selling the matching 3 speed manual tranny for $50 CDN. Including clutch and bell housing. Right here in my back yard. No freight.....Sigh. 

grab it...at that price you will feel you should be here.....

inTheJail.jpg

I read an editorial in  Hemmings Classic Car recently where the editor, who has been fighting cancer, is advocating that if you can't sell your stockpile of extra parts....give them away to people you meet who can use them.  That way they will hopefully get used instead of your widow and kids having them hauled to the dump.  And, you can ask the recipient to "pay" for the stuff by making a donation to a charity.  Not such a bad idea in my book.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It may be "lucky" that we've never lived anywhere more than five or six years since we were married.  Elsewise I would have an impressive and diverse inventory by now.  I did start to accumulate (theoretically) more than I needed when we lived in El Paso, TX then just up the road in Carlsbad, NM, but moving across the country after that necessitated thinning out the supplies.  Although each move did require more than one trip to get the old cars to their new homes.  Now we're looking at spare engines, parts cars, and projects since we'll be here for a while and have plenty of room, only issue is most stuff in these parts is pretty far gone.  And I do worry a tad about what the kids will do with our stuff when the time comes, but I like BobT's note from the Hemmings article.

• Like 1

I have said it before, the kids were not very good at keeping their rooms and spaces clean...I look at my hoard as payback as they will learn what picking up behind others really entails...and before any one jumps the next wagon....if they want to throw away their inheritance.....I won't be here to worry about that either.....lol

• Like 1