Can I bolt a 1959 Dodge power flight trans to a 1941 241 flathead engine

Dan Epp

Welcome Aboard from Oz..........as your car is a Chrysler am I correct in assuming its a 25" engine?.............and the trans being Dodge is from a 23" car?..............I know that here in Oz the Oz cars from the mid 50's when they had a Powerflite or Torqueflite trans always had the 25" engine which the Canadian built cars used also as far as I am aware....whether the bellhousing and crank flange adapts I am not sure.............andyd  

There was a 41 Desoto in our local WPC club with a powerflite. the key to the whole project will be whether or not your 241 crankshaft has 8 bolt holes.

Other items to consider include the   rear engine mount,   you cannot expect the load to be distributed from under the water pump  all the way to the rear of the transmission/

also a throttle position linkage must be fabricated.

Perhaps , if you just want an automatic, there is an adapter available to  fit a GM 350 trans to the six.  There may also be one for a later and much lighter torqueflite.

Can't help with you question but want to point out, Chrysler and DeSoto never made a business coupe. They where called Royal, Windsor, Saratoga or New Yorker Coupe ? 

Your car is looks great. I have the same model and colour.side.jpg.f90aa46bf89c8cfceaaea7d49fd68a96.jpg

Edited by chrysler1941

1946-48 and probably the same for the Pre War Chryslers.. Chrysler described  them as a 3 passenger coupe in the sales Data book... not a business coupe as already mentioned above.

Just a little technicality.... probably no one cares?

• Like 1

Yum...........to save you any trouble....I'll take it just as it is...............Business........or not.........3 window or 3 passenger.......I'll be happy to have whatever they are called..........interesting thing is that until maybe 15-20 years ago these were the great unloved..........then as the Frod and Villys 3 window coupe population has dried up people discovered the Mopar versions, bigger & better.......just wish I was that enlightened years ago.........we never got any of this body shell in oz tho' there are a couple here now..........andyd 

I still call my 1946 NewYorker 3 Passenger Coupe a Business Man's Coupe. Probably always will.... not into as it really should be!

the previos owner advertised it as a doctors coupe so assumed it was a business coupe  the original owner was a doctor from  Manitoba Canada I have his personal engraved  1941 Chrysler brass keychain

I also have 2 Canadian built 1947 Dodge 3 window custom coupes

a 48 Plymouth business coupe

a 48 Plymouth club coupe

a 78 Dodge Magnum

and a 77 Dodge Aspen

all need work

don't know how to post all my Mopars on my profile

Edited by Dan Epp

21 hours ago, Dan Epp said:

Hi Chrysler 41 your Royal coupe looks great to,

what trans  do you have mine is a manual 3 on the tree ,  what colour is your interior mine is a tan colour   

Thanks. Mine has original Vacamatic and Fluid drive. Works great. Tan/Beige interior 

Edited by chrysler1941

Does the car currently have fluid drive?? If so the chances for a medium difficulty swap probably increase.  The measurements for the depth of the bell housing,the shape of the bell housing where it bots to the engine re going to be key. What engenders your desire to swap.

The car certainly. Looks great.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/powerflite.html

Well!l my knee can sympathize with that.  Are you sure you don't have fluid drive.  Not naysaying you but is seems most all Chrysler's were equipped with the fluid drive system many with the manual transmission from 1940 and on. You can check by starting the car putting it in third, and with your foot on the brake and releasing the clutch. If the car doesn't stall it has the fluid drive and you can leave it third gear and do most of your driving like it is an automatic, albiet a slow automatic. Some fluid drive users say they can can shift up and down between 2nd and third without the clutch with a little practice.  You would then have nearly the same gear ratios as the powerflite and drive about with just gas and brake.

Some info that on the net

A conventional clutch and three- or four-speed manual transmission was installed behind the fluid coupling. Fluid drive was used in many military vehicles produced for the US Armed Forces during the Second World War. It was offered for civilian use from 1939 through 1953 in Chryslers, 1940 through 1953 in DeSotos, and from 1941 through 1954 in Dodge models; a semi-automatic system was optional from Chrysler and Desoto 

4 hours ago, Dan Epp said:

Hi Greg the reason I want to change the trany is I have a bad left hip painful pushing the clutch in 

and no it is not fluid drive 

If you choose fluid drive, the later post-war M5 transmissions will bolt directly and no modification to axle. Later they shared oil with engine, Not sure when. I think they called them M6.

I took the bell housing cover off and there is just a clutch connected to the flywheel don't see a   fluid coupling

its up on my hoist right now cleaning up 78 years of grease and oil around the front end and trans I will try putting it in third when i take it down on Thursday  

I have a 41 Dodge coupe at my friends junk yard with a  217 25 inch block I hope its a vacamatic in the Dodge  I can live with that if not I will try to find a M5 or 

my friend also has 4- 40 or 41 plymouth business coupes at his yard maybe one of them have a fluid drive trans they are for sale but are in rough shape

Thanks for your help guys        

Edited by Dan Epp

1 hour ago, Dan Epp said:

Chrysler1941 do you no how many 1941 Chrysler Royal coupes!! were made ? my serial number is 9718023

what side is your   steering wheel on looking at the front of the car?

did your car come with a radio mine did not ?

thanks       

Have a look here.

http://classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=468&year=1941&model=5656

Our 3W Coupe, 6846 pcs According to Standard Catalog Of Chrysler

Royal

2-dr. Cpe.-3P        6846
2-dr. Clb. Cpe.-6P    10,830
2-dr. Lux. Brgm.-6P    8006
4-dr. Sed.-6P        51,378
4-dr. Twn. Sed.-6P    1277

Mine has a normal left hand steering and according to build sheet,  originally didn't have radio or clock, but locking gas cap. Someone later added these.

3 minutes ago, Dan Epp said:

thanks so the same side as north American cars ,  this is what my bell housing looks like is yours the same ?  9506314snl.jpg

Yes we drive on right side. It was imported from Arizona. No cars where imported during WW II ?

Nope you bell housing is normal clutch type. Mine is deeper due to clutch and fluid coupler.

kobling.jpg

6 bolts. No modifications made to engines. All match. But bolts are longer and flywheel is a bit different, has extra mounting tabs for the fluid coupler. (it's not a converter)?

We only have 92, 95 and 98 unleaded so I choose the lowest 92. 

Edited by chrysler1941