Peep Mirrors

RobertKB

I am looking to buy some peep mirrors for my 1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe. They are everywhere on ebay but my question is not about a supplier. I know I want 4" mirrors but I am not sure whether I should buy straight arm or curved arm mirrors. I would appreciate opinions from owners who have these mirrors on their cars and the benefit(s) or drawback(s) they see with the kind they have. Opinions on mounting location would also be welcome. Maybe even a picture if possible but not necessary.

Being a business coupe both sides have huge blind spots and I am hoping to find mirrors that not only look good but are functional on both sides. Thanks for any and all advice.

IMG_1619.JPG.f548b088b29dd96e33210f9b246a6aa7.JPG

• Like 1

you will wish to get the swan neck models and mount on the door if you have any intentions of using your vent window...seeing anything at all with the passenger side mirror when mounted.   But then this is only my experience....you may find it different....based on your physical size and seat position when in use....DO...however get someone to hold it in position before mounting to be sure this is the model you want.....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

All i know is my ‘37 is so wedge shaped that even the 6” straight armed mirrors only show me the side of the car unless I turn them out a ways.  They’re useless for backing into the garage as I can’t see anything straight behind me.  How wedge shaped is a 51?   I’m guessing they’re wider up front than the typical 30s coupe.  Might be fine with curved arm, but for me I’d still go straight arm.   

19 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you will wish to get the swan neck models and mount on the door if you have any intentions of using your vent window...seeing anything at all with the passenger side mirror when mounted.   But then this is only my experience....you may find it different....based on your physical size and seat position when in use....DO...however get someone to hold it in position before mounting to be sure this is the model you want.....

LoL Original right side swan neck are even more useless ?

the model he is working with did not come factory swan necks...the earlier models in the 48 and back did and they were affixed at the trim that was the cowl between the hood and the door....in that position...more than useless.  If you place swan necks on the later model and that position will be entirely your call and WHY I said to get a bud to hold it to be sure of where you want it....but for my car, my stature, they work fine...vent operates...and you can see....would be nice if the mirror on the right was not plain mirror as the left but can't have everything, if you did...where the hang would you put it all....beside...in those day and even through the rest of the 50's  dual outside rear views were basically a cosmetic/sporty treatment....

Did he not say peep type mirrors?

Most of those style are clamp on type that fit on the door edge.

If that type are installed near the top edge at the slim part of the vent window will that work??

Have not been in one of the Mopars of this era with them.

Just asking.

DJ

On the 41 Plymouth Coupe I had the mirrors were straight arm and mounted on the door edge, they gave a reasonable rear view......originally I had bought a pair of "peep" mirrors but found that as they had short curved arms they had to be mounted on the top edge of the door and didn't offer much in the way of rear vision......not sure what the peep or the ones I ended up with were diameter wise as I sold the car a few years ago but they, both types were about 4" in diameter..............andyd  

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

Forgot to post this pic of the mirror on the 40 Dodge.......I couldn't find one I liked so I made this one by using the adjustable end of an old short length mirror and welding that onto a length of 3/8th round steel rod then welding small brackets that fit above and below the door hinge, which is held onto the hinge with a longer hinge pin and a very small  grub screw that screws thru the top bracket into the door hinge........had the lot rechromed ...it been in use about 40 yrs and occaisonally I get a question from those who know regarding where did it come from?............lol..........andyd.......... 

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

• Like 1

he did....I had one set of peeps on a car...never again...to place them out of your way and still be able to use them have you searching for them if this is not a daily driver.....unsafe in my opinion...to look cosmetically correct often leaves them at a position of no use on the passenger side.... most of the swan necks are peep size but in my opinion a better more secure mount that will not leave an eventual rust trail from the hardware.....but as I said earlier...just this man's opinion....either way you going to be cutting some paint putting either style on.....

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the model he is working with did not come factory swan necks...the earlier models in the 48 and back did and they were affixed at the trim that was the cowl between the hood and the door....in that position...more than useless.  If you place swan necks on the later model and that position will be entirely your call and WHY I said to get a bud to hold it to be sure of where you want it....but for my car, my stature, they work fine...vent operates...and you can see....would be nice if the mirror on the right was not plain mirror as the left but can't have everything, if you did...where the hang would you put it all....beside...in those day and even through the rest of the 50's  dual outside rear views were basically a cosmetic/sporty treatment....

Yeah I was referring to the useless cosmetic cowl trim swan neck mirrors.  True his model is without. 

So it seems all type of mirrors are called peep? Thought only the upper curved clamped are peep mirrors.

Yes, to me peep mirrors are ones that are clamped onto the door edge either at the top or in front of the vent windows. I am leaning toward the long arm mirrors as they would extend out further and be more like modern mirrors in position. Big question is location as you don't want to be blocking the vent windows which on my car can be turned a long ways and can blow air into the car.

I have the peep mirrors that clamp onto the door edge. The drivers side is somewhat useful; the passenger side is useless. I have them on my car for the look. The vent windows can open 3/4 of the way as shown on the pics. I am thinking about changing them to get them further away from the car so I can see better what's in the lane beside me. I always turn my head to look anyhow (an old habit I got into in the 60's), so it's not a big deal for me. I do like the way they look....

DSC01899.jpg

DSC01900.jpg

I tried the usual peep mirror locations, fighting with the vent window and not giving me a good view.  .  

I made a bracket to clamp the peep mirror to the top of the door.  Now the mirror is adjustable to give me a view of the right lane with just a bit of the side of the car. 

(I painted the bracket to match the door frame, so it's not so ugly.)  

696592185_peepmirrorright(2).JPG.21bb27d1ab5aa585e4f6b82f69ebe85c.JPG

1 hour ago, 51cambridge said:

This is what I have on mine, the mirror part was all wore out. I found some some stick on convex mirrors that covered the whole thing.

Now I can see everything out of both mirrors 

68E63010-4E20-4C3A-B086-AC0FC07C3755.jpeg

I have ordered a set like this. I will update on mounting and usefulness when I get them.

Thanks to everyone who has responded!

16 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the peeps I lump with all the clamp on gutter rail mirrors ...I included the swan neck mirrors as they are the better application for his car in my opinion and one that should be considered..

Thanks for info. Difficult with slang words of another language. MoPar called them door mount outside rear view mirror.

Capture.JPG

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Cold Blue said:

I have the peep mirrors that clamp onto the door edge. The drivers side is somewhat useful; the passenger side is useless. I have them on my car for the look. The vent windows can open 3/4 of the way as shown on the pics. I am thinking about changing them to get them further away from the car so I can see better what's in the lane beside me. I always turn my head to look anyhow (an old habit I got into in the 60's), so it's not a big deal for me. I do like the way they look....

DSC01899.jpg

DSC01900.jpg

If you get them with aluminum necks like these then you can heat the necks  to soften them and then "bend" them  in or out as needed to get a little more custom fit in terms of how they function on your car. That's what I did on my old 34 Hudson.

14 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Thanks for info. Difficult with slang words of another language. MoPar called them door mount outside rear view mirror.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the info. The ones I ordered are almost exactly like the one pictured.

My P15 came with a set of weathered clamp-on mirrors and I also found the passenger side mirror to be worthless for seeing around the large blind spot in the sedan. The work-around I use is sorta clunky looking but gives me warning if someone sidles up on my right rear fender:

mirror.jpg.842213368e2ec80afcdb441a06dd9808.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

they call them peep mirrors but I have never heard them make a sound....?  Your right mirror is way forward....am surprised it is usable even with the small panoramic spot mirror in place.  You must be long legged and have the seat mucho rearward.

Nope, seat is in normal position and the small wide-angle mirror works great, can see down the whole side of the car and into the adjoining lane, even clears the vent when in full air-conditioning mode.

This is the second time today I've been told that something I've done to my car won't work.......tough crowd on this here forum...or maybe it just has a significant population of crotchety old men......    ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Haha 1

was not saying it would not work...was asking if seat position to the rear was an added factor.....I made the observation based on forward position of the door edge and of course the vent glass is see through, anyway I had a set like you show on my 49 when I got it and being a short legged person with the seat forward....was not of any use to me.  So, just wondering about seat position...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

10 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

was not saying it would not work...was asking if seat position to the rear was an added factor.....I made the observation based on forward position of the door edge and of course the vent glass is see through, anyway I had a set like you show on my 49 when I got it and being a short legged person with the seat forward....was not of any use to me.  So, just wondering about seat position...

It was useless without the add-on mirror, couldn't find any position on the door frame that would work. After nearly pulling over into another car I decided to stick on the little Habba Fright mirror I had left from another project, am very pleased how well it works. Sometimes we get lucky.  :)

I use those same attachments on both my side mirrors.The mirrors on my Dodge are possibly original to the car as it was fitted with side mirrors as an accessory when purchased new.Between both my age and the age of the car I am not into fast lane changes in heavy multi lane traffic and these work fine for me.The passenger side is usable as well...?

269954249_PeepMirrors(1).jpg.dc17e0458a5009bcf17a6e47c351e5c3.jpg113201910_PeepMirrors(2).jpg.e498c7ab6caf443b806e1dfb244c9324.jpg