Brake drum original colors

JSabah

Cleaning up the rear drums and was going to paint them black but I see some red on an old drum. What were they originally? Also, any idea how hot they get? The black paint I have is good to 1200 deg but I also have silver for 2000 deg. 

953BC2FA-5C07-4878-8F68-CD28B30C6867.jpeg

D47FDA7A-29C0-4D1B-919C-F9533E73AA61.jpeg

That red hub denotes it's a left hand thread drum....  a way the factory and dealer stock could easily ID a LH drum.

Drums should be black otherwise. RH drum all black.

Thank you all for your help. I do have both right and left threads and lug nuts so thee drums are now black with 1 red center hub. I also painted the inside with my 2000 deg engine paint that I had left over just to keep rust from forming again... did not paint where the shoes make contact. Will start to put things back together next week after I get my half shafts back from having the new bearings and speedi sleeves pressed on for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Brakes adjusted today (with my home made tool), bearing grease added via plugs on back of axle housing and started differential pinion seal replacement. Got stuck on torquing the axle nut and removing nut for pinion as I don’t have  a 1 1/4” socket - will pick one up in the morning and soldier on. 

F4E14EEE-C7FD-4AB0-AAFC-D63E577B13D0.jpeg

E2077C65-5D62-4F50-9EA9-9013F14702AF.jpeg

Pretty Pretty?