brake grease

JSabah

looking at the Service Manual, I don't see where there are any instructions as to where to use ant brake grease , or what kind of grease. I see that the anchor bolts have felts so one would assume grease there but are there any other points? what about the piston cup/push rod (under the boot in the cup or in the "fork")? any other places.  I thought I caught a very short mention in an old tech film but I haven't re-watched it yet ... thought Id get more experience/detail here.  BTW this is re rear brakes on a 49 Plymouth Woody.....haven't got to the front yet.  Thank You

The anchor bolt or otherwise known as the eccentric pin yes does have a metal retainer with a felt washer insde the retainer. The fel would not het any grease but only some light oil and clean oil not used motor oil. Also no grease on the end of the push rod where it goes into the piston and rubber cup. You might put some old lubreplate on the end of the pushrod where it hits the back of the brake shoe also some lubraplate where the metal of the brake show might rub against the backing plate limit the use of grease so it does not get on the brake linings.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I use Sil-Glyde brake parts lubricant sparingly on ...

......Brake shoe anchor  pivot hole, heavy oil on the O-Ring felts 

......Backing plate height button and hold down spring clip

......Each end of cylinder push rod

......I also use a few drops of heavy oil on the backing plate adjusting eccentric bolt and spring so it doesn't seize up

Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya