Wired Correctly?

Cold Blue

My 48 Plymouth Club Coupe was rewired and converted to 12 volts by a previous owner. My question is this: press the starter button on the dash, and the starter motor will turn over with the ignition switch in the "Off" position, but will not start. Turn the key, and she fires right up. Is this correct? Seems to me the starter should not operate when the key is off, but I may be wrong. Thanks! Blue.

"Correct wiring" with modifications can sometimes be a matter of opinion.

Many things are wired as you describe from the OEM. I know my car is currently wired the same as you describe, but I honestly have never looked at how it was from the factory.

To put it into a different perspective - on the truck side there is a mechanical lever that engages the starter motor - you can easily push that with your foot and turn the engine over without ever flipping the key on.

37 minutes ago, HotRodTractor said:

To put it into a different perspective - on the truck side there is a mechanical lever that engages the starter motor - you can easily push that with your foot and turn the engine over without ever flipping the key on.

My 33 Plym, 42 Dodge coupe, and my 52 truck are all that way.

So I would think that since the ing swith is not fully turned on then the electrical circuit is not complete and permitting the electrcail current to flow from the coil to the dizzy to complete the flow to make the spark plugs fires and start the car.  I also havea foot starter lever and the engine canbe cranked over without the key turned on. and the car willnot fire up.

Rich Hartung

15 minutes ago, Cold Blue said:

We have three opinions that it is correct. But chrysler1941 says its not....will reversing the AM and ST connections blow fuses or fry wires? I am not an electrical guru...

? None of the above. Key switch having three terminals can be installed 9 different ways. So AM and ACC  or ACC and ST could be also be swapped. Logically, there is absolutely no reason for an engine to crank without ignition. One turn powers ignition, and everything else, the other way accessory mode, Map light, radio, etc.

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kencombs said:

Looks like yours is operating as that diagram indicates..  Hot wire directly from the bat/solenoid connection to start button.

Per the schematic the start button isn't hot until the ignition switch is turned on. It's wired into the same circuit as the fuel gauge. This is the way my P15 is wired, starter pushbutton is dead until ignition switch is turned on.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Per the schematic the start button isn't hot until the ignition switch is turned on. It's wired into the same circuit as the fuel gauge. This is the way my P15 is wired, starter pushbutton is dead until ignition switch is turned on.

Absolutely right, I misread the crossing wires at the solenoid.

IMHO, it would be nice to have the ability to crank the engine without spark when working on it.   That is , if you have a helper on hand, it would be easier than digging out the test button and hooking it up.

I have a solenoid jumper tool bought it years ago. It is comprised of two three for wires with alligator clips that meet at a push button switch mounted in a plastic handle. Connect one with to the battery post of the solenoid and the other to the center solenoid terminal. Push the button to bump the starter.  Maybe called a mechanics helper switch?? Would be easy to make one with a momentary switch a bit of sheet metal mounted to a hunk of wood or an old file handle or similar.

image_17495.jpg

Edited by greg g

6 minutes ago, greg g said:

I have a solenoid jumper tool bought it years ago. It is comprised of two three for wires with alligator clips that meet at a push button switch mounted in a plastic handle. Connect one with to the battery post of the solenoid and the other to the center solenoid terminal. Push the button to bump the starter.  Maybe called a mechanics helper switch?? Would be easy to make one with a momentary switch a bit of sheet metal mounted to a hunk of wood or an old file handle or similar.

Here's the one I have:

710y5KM5-JL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, Cold Blue said:

My 48 Plymouth Club Coupe was rewired and converted to 12 volts by a previous owner. My question is this: press the starter button on the dash, and the starter motor will turn over with the ignition switch in the "Off" position, but will not start. Turn the key, and she fires right up. Is this correct? Seems to me the starter should not operate when the key is off, but I may be wrong. Thanks! Blue.

I know my car is wired as per the factory. Push the starter button and nothing will happen. Turn the key to the on position and when the starter button is pushed the starter engages and the engines fires. Like Greg above, I sometimes jump in and push the starter and am disappointed nothing happens. Brain fart ends and I turn the key providing power to the starter and presto!

5 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Here's the one I have:

710y5KM5-JL._AC_UL115_.jpg

I've got at least 3 of that or similar in the tool boxes, probably as well as one made from a button salvaged from a pickup back in the '60s..  And, pliers or screwdrivers have stood in at times.  Still, it would be handy at times to stick my arm through the window and bump the starter without a trip to the tool box.

• Like 1