Do 49 Plym wheels hold air with Tubeless Tires?

thekid1950

I put Hankook? radials on mine with no Problems. That being said, clean the rims inside real good with a wire wheel or brush and then paint them, paying attention to the rivet heads inside the rim. This is because on the original rims the hub piece is riveted to the rim section and that is where you will loose the air. 

Joe Lee

• Like 1

I have bias ply tires from Coker without tubes on my rims on both my '48 and '51. They both hold air fine. Both sets of rims have been well cleaned and painted before installing the tubeless tires. I think have a clean and smooth surface is important. Rusty and/or pitted rims on the inside will cause you problems.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great question. Plymouth in 1952 was the first production car to feature tubeless tires. Looking at a number of older wheels you can see they were ready for them for years. What Plymouth called "Safety rib" wheels are needed for tubeless tires. If your rims have that feature you can try them. The only thing that could be a fly in the ointment are the rivets holding the centers. If the wheels leak at the rivets don't worry there are fixes for that.

Not all car makers were as smart about "Safety Rib" wheels and tubeless tires. Hint: Look at present day photographs of surviving 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1s. Then look at the advertising and brochure photographs. You will note the survivors rarely have their original wheels. The ones that didn't have "Safety Ribs". Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 1

of course they do.  In over 50 years I have had one wheel which leaked around a rivet.  The challenge is in getting brass valve stems which once upon a time came with oval washers for the oval stem holes.  RV dealers and good tire shops can supply these.

• Like 1

Running a sedan and truck with this era of rims without tubes as well. As stated already if your rims are in good shape just make sure the mounting surface is smooth and preferably painted and that the stem hole is round. There are larger valve stems available to fit our slightly larger hole.