Deal or No Deal ?

Reg Evans

Looking at that Edmonds finned aluminum head and what he's asking for it makes me think I got a heck of a deal on my Sharp head and Fenton dual intake, since they were given to me for free because they had been laying around in the way for 30 years.

Caveat Emptor.  Late Edmund's heads had lots of problems with porous castings leading to leaks of coolant both into the cylinders and between the fins. Don't ask me how I know. If you are considering an Edmunds, assure that it has been pressure tested either with water and dish soap or water with a dye added.  Get it in writing with the sellers signature.

3 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

A diy guy builds a car for 10 or less....a check writer same car for 30-50 and I'm happy for both of them because they got what they wanted....and a little jealous....lol.

Speaking of the Edmunds head I think I would shave a stock head to bump the compression. paint it a nice silver. and buy some nice chrome acorn nut covers for the head bolts and call it a day.:)

That's exactly what I did Frank. I must say I think it is quite handsome...

DSC01833.jpg

I would want to know the person that rebuilt the carb so in case if there is any issues you could go directly to him to get the carb fixed.  Also stated totally rebuilt so I am assuming that all brass bushing were replaced and made to fit properly without any slop. The carb was soaked and also put in an electroci bath cleaner solution was the venture tube replaced and all internal parts replaced.  Very high cost for a rebuild not knowing all of the info on the carb.

buyer beware

Rich Hartung

If you would like some bling in the engine compartment.This is a picture of a Plymouth 23 inch engine with faux finned cast iron head and was posted by 1941Rick,who is no longer active on the forum. It was his car at the time and looked pretty good. As I recall the fins were custom made, chrome plated angle iron  and attached to the head with the head bolts...

850170194_FauxFinnedHead.jpg.d36674b374f05f4e665a5a357586332c.jpg

Edited by T120
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 7:06 PM, desoto1939 said:

I would want to know the person that rebuilt the carb so in case if there is any issues you could go directly to him to get the carb fixed.

Rich Hartung

Says no returns Rich. You buy it you own it. 

Heres a a good story. I was rebuilding a E7T2 carb. May have misquoted the number but it’s the bigger bore carb. Had everything but the correct main metering jet. Asked a guy on eBay trying to sell some NOS carb kits if he might have one. Got back to me said he did have it. When I inquired as to the price he said don’t worry about it. About 4 days later I got it in the mail.

Sad thing is probably be someone just getting into his first restore just don’t know any better. Unless it’s deep pockets and just don’t care like Tim mentioned. 

Or: I called upon a friend and found him pulling a 218 engine. I asked his plans, was putting in a V8 so no need, asked if I wanted it, so loaded it on my truck and I hauled ir home. It checked out to be a good engine.

A fellow in way south Texas was looking for a 218, so I sold it to him.

two years later I have an extra 218, so put it on Craigslist. My friend called to see if I was the seller, he now needs a 218 and wanted to purchase mine. Since I had sold the one he GAVE me, I reciprocated and GAVE  him my spare. Paying forward works, 

• Like 1