Deal or No Deal ?

Reg Evans

LOL. I bought a carb kit recently for my carb. About $50. I disassembled the carb and soaked everything in lacquer thinner for a couple weeks.  Reassembled...Set it up. Done. It appears my labor is worth $645. Good to know. I'll quote that amount next time someone asks if I could rebuild their carb.

• Haha 2

I've rebuilt several myself and after soaking overnight in Lacquer Thinner it takes me about an hour to re assemble.  In Moparpros description he says that the professionals take 3 to 4 hours for the job.  I say…...NO DEAL !

I will say this about Mike, he will put a price on the item for sure...free enterprise.....and if someone wants to pay that price...more power to Mike if the man did not shop around a bit and find the true value first.  I will further add that Mike in the past would entertain fair offers and I and a few others I know of have walked away with the merchandise.  I will not say this is always the case and if the man is still dealing with offers.  But in the past...he has.  We have folks listing clapped out junker cars daily for off the wall asking prices.....we all know they never get that price, well, lets say they should never get that price but only take one buyer with deep pockets...  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

25 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I will say this about Mike, he will put a price on the item for sure...free enterprise.....and if someone wants to pay that price...more power to Mike if the man did not shop around a bit and find the true value first.  I will further add that Mike in the past would entertain fair offers and I and a few others I know of have walked away with the merchandise.  I will not say this is always the case and if the man is still dealing with offers.  But in the past...he has.  We have folks listing clapped out junker cars daily for off the wall asking prices.....we all know they never get that price, well, lets say they should never get that price but only take one buyer with deep pockets...  

He's also started making some parts that were lacking in the market. I know a lot of us had issues with him back in the day but he seems to have progressed.

No Deal!

But I will add this. His time of 3 to 4 hours could be valid if he is miking all the shafts and bores then bushing the bores and making new shafts if needed. The machine shop rate where I work is $75.00 per hour and I know of some automotive mechanics shops that are $125.00 per hour. So with the math that would bring this part in at $225.00 to $500.00 in labor then add in parts and materials of $50.00 to $100.00. That would bring us to $275.00 to $600.00. Then add in the core charge of the carburetor itself, I bought one last year for $70.00 that was just in need of a kit and cleaning.

His price is on the high side in my book, but for someone without the skills or capability of rebuilding it, this might not be as bad as we think in today's world.

Edited by Silverdome

3 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

todays labor rates are up there....again, if you farming out...you paying large and you losing the enjoyment and adventure that is the fun part of the hobby.  Anyone can buy and drive an old car....

^^^^^ And there's the rub. We all have our different levels of enjoyment of this hobby. I'm a hands on kind of guy myself and tend to steer away from the people, and their cars, that just buy everything and don't do any of the work themselves.

Rockauto or O'rielys maybe autozone sell a c522 Autoline carb.

I bought mine from Rockauto, price is $147 + $95 core charge, total of $241.

I rebuilt my core, sprayed the insides with oil, wrapped it in oily rag, then put it in the cardboard box and put it on the shelf.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/autoline,C522,carburetor,5904

So now we are talking quality?

I am not driving my truck yet, but start it up and move it from it's parking spot. Under the carport in front of the garage, so I can move another vehicle in and work on.

I smiled the last time I started it, it sat for 3 weeks and started easier then my daily driver ... pull out choke, pump throttle 3 times, step on starter ...instant start.

The Autoline carb idles perfect, it has full range with no missing. Appearance, it looks like a new carb and not a rebuilt.

I am 100% satisfied with this carb for the price. Someday I may cuss it, but I still have the original spare.

Way I see it, Mike has a long row to hoe, if he wants to sell carbs for $650

1 hour ago, Silverdome said:

^^^^^ And there's the rub. We all have our different levels of enjoyment of this hobby. I'm a hands on kind of guy myself and tend to steer away from the people, and their cars, that just buy everything and don't do any of the work themselves.

well, I really did not intend this to be a rub...but I can see how it may come off that way.....it you do not have the time, space, tools or maybe skills... that  is the very exception to the rule....so in that respect, yes...it is a different playing field.....

20 minutes ago, ptwothree said:

Man, that finned head is super nice looking! But at the price they are asking, my stock head looks super too, the more that I look at it...

A diy guy builds a car for 10 or less....a check writer same car for 30-50 and I'm happy for both of them because they got what they wanted....and a little jealous....lol.

Speaking of the Edmunds head I think I would shave a stock head to bump the compression. paint it a nice silver. and buy some nice chrome acorn nut covers for the head bolts and call it a day.:)