37 Plymouth Door Hinges

cturboaddict

Well, It's time to pull the doors and address the hinges. I've got some concerns and was hoping some of you guys could help.

1. What size Phillips is needed for the door hinge bolts?

2. Any tips to get them free without total anarchy?

3. Is there any replacement hinges our there?

4. Best place to get new pins if the hinges aren't available? 

5. Looks like the door side of the hinge is riveted to the door??? Or are there internal nuts on the door side for the hinge?

Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated. The doors have to be slammed currently to shut, and I'm hoping the disassembly/cleaning/painting/repair process can get them to close smoothly. 

some of these hinges are straps to the door itself and 3-4 bolts hidden by the door panel......as for the post bolts....soak them with penetrate if you do not have a means to heat them....oxy/acetylene works best......heat to cherry red the bolt...let cool till they have lost their red and use an impact driver to break them loose....the heating of the bolt breaks the rust bond and on the average will evaporate the rust on the threads that stick beyond the captured nut plate...do not heat from the back side as often you can easy round the thread by melting in direct flame contact...this will make removal a nightmare... find a bit that fits snug the profile of the screw....get it to sharp pointed of a point..it does not bottom out and engage the flats.....only take a minute to see what I am referring too.....

• Like 1

On my 38, I used an impact tool to remove the hinge screws.     The impact tool was the type to hit with a hammer to make it turn a small amount.

I did this after using different types of lube, letting soak for several days.

For hinge pins, I used valves from a lawn mower until I could find new pins.     The small mower engine pins fit perfect....

If the Phillips bit that fits the screw head best bottoms out, you could do what I did - drill the center a bit deeper w/ a small drill bit.  The impact I found to work the best is an attachment I put in a regular drill.  I first tried the hammer impact hand operated type, but couldn't budge several of the screws on the last hinge.  (And I had also tried various approaches back in '80 when I got the car, and it was soaked with penetrant then, and it has been stored inside ever since then.  But I HAD to get that hinge off, because the hinge pin was twisted off.  (Speaking of hinge pins, I am drilling out the hinge tongues, and pressing in bronze bushings.)