Fed Up

So I have two different types of fuel pumps that I use.  One type has a pump arm that is pretty much straight out of the pump and rubs on the bottom of the camshaft lobe at about the six o'clock position.  The second type has a pump arm that comes out of the pump and then makes a hard upward turn and would rub on the side of the camshaft lobe at about the nine o'clock position.  If your fuel pump is of the second type and you have 2 or 3 gaskets the pump may be set back too far from the camshaft and not getting a full stroke from the lobe.  May account for the fuel starving when running.  Worth a check.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

Oh man I don’t wanna be a spelling stickler and I’m not here to correct anybody but the ‘sentiment’ bowl is cracking me up! I thought it was a sediment bowl to collect junk and dirt but maybe it’s just holding on to bad feelings ? 

LOL reminds me of the customer we had that complained we'd caused their checking account to have insignificant funds..... 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bambamshere said:

So took line of between fuel pump and carburetor. Guess they didn't have a long enough piece for it. 

Those fittings had to cost more than just buying some tubing. Only thing that comes to mind is that some PM must have had a pretty full odds and ends drawer so the fittings were free (i.e. already in the junk drawer).

On 8/18/2019 at 11:36 AM, bambamshere said:

20190817_214746.jpg.4e94a906124eef38c7b7a0bf59de0f9e.jpgSo last night I decided to finally take a reading from the fuel pump. The pressure was at 2 pounds. I would go to the book but the only thing that this fuel.pump says on it. Is that it was made in Canada. 

The shop manual has that it should be 4 to 5 1/2 pounds. Wonder if this pump is from a bigger truck. It is a truck engine before going into a combine and then back in to my truck. 

It also looks like there is 3 gaskets between the engine and the fuel pump. The shop manual say the there is a filter in pump. I gues that is what used to be the sediment  bowl. The sediment bowl on my truck is attached to my carburetor. Probably pretty easy to come off so I can attach a line from fuel pump straight to carburetor. When buying new pump. 

I keep adding to this post. Has anyone put a electric fuel pump on there truck. I wondering when I do buy a fuel pump. Which would be better. What electric fuel pump you have bought. Was it between 4 and 5 1/2 pounds. Should I just stay with normal fuel pump for flathead 6. Not going to be driving it all the time. 

Does anyone know what type of fuel pump this is? All it says is that it was made in Canada.

You no what would be nice is to find a fitting like they put on these fuel pumps originally. Ok so don't use teflon tape. What else is good that isn't teflon tape for gas fittings? Brake fittings are good if you can find them. The fitting with the rubber in them to prevent leaking of fluid. 

Kind of like depends but not.

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

pump arms can have different profile and yet deliver the same stroke

Oh ok so the pump should work just fine with the arm that is on it. 

Has anyone used that form a gasket #3 with any good results with fuel line fittings?

Edited by bambamshere

So I have two different types of fuel pumps that I use.  One type has a pump arm that is pretty much straight out of the pump and rubs on the bottom of the camshaft lobe at about the six o'clock position.  The second type has a pump arm that comes out of the pump and then makes a hard upward turn and would rub on the side of the camshaft lobe at about the nine o'clock position.  If your fuel pump is of the second type and you have 2 or 3 gaskets the pump may be set back too far from the camshaft and not getting a full stroke from the lobe.  May account for the fuel starving when running.  Worth a check.

So your old fuel pump has the pump arm that basically comes straight out of the pump. The top of the pump arm sits below the camshaft lobe at the six o'clock position of the camshaft.  You should be able to see a rub spot on the top of the pump arm.  Your new pump has a pump arm that angles down in your picture.  If you were to install the pump in the orientation you have it in the picture (with the arm angled down) I don't think the arm will make contact with the camshaft lobe.  I think you will have to rotate the pump 180 degrees so the arm angles up and will make contact with the camshaft lobe at the nine o'clock position.  Also pay close attention to the inlet and outlet ports on the pump when hooking up your fuel lines.

• Thanks 1

Hey Bambam I did not intend to criticize you or your grammar, spelling, communication skills, anything like that.

Please accept my apology- I am not better than anybody and I couldn’t care less how they spell- agreed that this is a place for old cars and fun not a meeting of picky english teachers.

I am usually typing on here with my thumbs on my phone- I am sure I’ve misspelled plenty. 

I was not trying to put you down, or correct you. Anybody that has had to dump the rust out of that thick little shot glass with the thumbscrew knew exactly what you were talking about including me. 

I understand that it’s hard to read tone on a forum post but c’mon man if trucks had a sentiment bowl that got clogged mine would be full of anger and frustration at times for sure- busted knuckles, stripped bolt heads, and problems that refuse to be fixed. Which struck me as a hilarious idea. 

Also I probably shouldn’t have poked the bear- I know you are currently dealing with a frustrating problem and I’m totally rooting for you to find a solution and might not have been in the mood for a wiseacre.

Radar

• Like 2

It is ok no problems. I changed the spelling on the sentiment bowl to the sediment bowl. I use my phone for about 90% of messages on here. I have read back my spelling on most of them because auto complete is auto complete. I have made some real bad mistakes. 

Anyways know problems. Lets go on getting the problems fixed on these trucks.   

Ok so next problem with this truck. Would you use single or double flare on fuel line? I need to make them. I bought fittings today and am using brake line fittings. I will also be using that Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant #3. As a extra precaution.

1 minute ago, bambamshere said:

Ok so next problem with this truck. Would you use single or double flare on fuel line? I need to make them. I bought fittings today and am using brake line fittings. I will also be using that Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant #3. As a extra precaution.

I honestly do not know, I thought you bought the fittings to match your lines, then the tool to match your job.

Just saying, maybe it is not a big deal ... I would buy the tools and fittings to match the job and material/line you  are working with.

Years ago, while a manager in a bandag tire retread shop, Nothing more frustrating then replacing air lines with the wrong parts.

This was not life threatening.

Just saying, there are several different styles of fittings over the years.

When you working on fuel lines or brakes ... There is top notch advice here in the H.A.M.B, I would be finding the exact  info you need for the product you are installing.