chrome spray paint

Los_Control

Just curious if any have had good luck using this product, which brand you used?

I have heard it works good!

Last year I was working on my wifes plastic hub caps on her dodge caravan. Looked like silver paint, not even close to chrome ... kinda dull even.

They still came out fine and holding up well, just not the effect I was looking for.

So now I am working on my cab lights, this would be a good place to try it again, but want to try a different brand.

Or maybe just paint them the body color of the truck otherwise.

Anybody have a brand they used, and would recommend?

0810190948a.jpg.f48a633b317cad7b31ea2a21d3b90c08.jpg

Thank's PA, will look into it, also found a thread on a different forum. Was just looking at spectra.

More I think about it and look at them, picture them in my mind installed.

If they had a top notch real chrome job, they may look a bit gawdy and out of place.

If they were painted the same color of the truck, I think they would blend in while adding a bit of contour to the body, and the amber lenses may stick out.

They are real glass and in nice shape.. More subtle and not so ... Oh Gawd!

Now I am sorry for making a post on it, But it really did help me make up my mind.

They been sitting on my bench in my way for a year now, I just always thought would try to do a better chrome out of a can on them. When I am ready.

Not perfect but would be a repair that works.

If I had a magic wand right now, could choose like new in chrome, or like new in paint ... I would use the wand and choose paint.

0810191045.jpg

15 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

a semi gloss will accent both the accessory and highlight the vehicle.

That is a good idea, I could try that and see what I think.

I am kinda stuck with gloss black body color, is the original color of the truck. It will be a 30 footer anyway you look at it ... unless you are young, may be a 50 footer.

The things that I have been using a rattle can on, I choose semi gloss black. I like the way it looks.

It just might be the right contrast of the after market lights mounted on the body?

At least it is just paint on a driver, nothing to get excited about.

If you looking for a silver finish but not so much chrome..stay away from rattle cans and get yourself a early seventies accent trim paint Chrylser used that goes by argent silver.  Now that is a weird name as argent means silver but nonetheless, getting this in a single stage enamel makes for a very durable and easily applied finish, absolutely stunning in contrast to almost any basic vehicle color.  The secret of this paint is the slight amount of violent pigment that goes into the mix.  Many argent colors do not have this pigment and without it you have just another baseline run of the mill silver.  Last I had mixed was in Centari brand and that is NLA...again, the secret is the violet.

• Like 1

Thanks again PA, going to write that down and see if I can pick some up to have it on the shelf. Napa seems to do well with paint.

I wont use it on the cab lights, but running into a black on black on black situation.

I do need some choices for contrasting colors, and with a silver motor, that would fit elsewhere as well. Maybe shock mounts and a few interior pieces.

Heater for example, Body of heater is going black, but have the face plate in primer and trying to think of a contrasting color to go on it. Argent silver just may be the color I am looking for.

I went a cheap route and hit my horn ring with rust-oleum 

9E9589FE-5527-4C28-BEAC-84B72257E616.jpeg.4ffb43d865d675d6ae75b2d5277f326e.jpeg

Wish I would have asked PA first but, it was good enough to sneak me into “back to the 50’s”

this time without being laughed at ?

2870DEFA-EE86-4B8A-B726-2E237E1CDC1F.jpeg.5dfb407350d26a3f28f812234cbe5f57.jpeg

LC, Please post the results short and long term

• Like 2

This is not a cheap route, but i have seen some powder coated pieces (not personally, but on YouTube)

done in "chrome" and they look pretty nice.

Edited by wldavis3
correct misspelling
  • Like 1

Powder coating is something I like, but not really understand yet.

In some cases, it seems to be the cats meow.

I followed a guy on youtube for awhile,  and watched as he was disabled like me, and he did powder coating in his garage for a second income.

He actually started out just using a old electric kitchen oven. Was limited to the size of parts he could coat, but he was able to do a good job.

After a year or two, he actually built a booth, and shared the plans to build it, and could powder coat axles and other larger items.

Was 6' tall and you limited to what you can get in it.

For some reason I am bias against powder coating .... for myself.  I think it may do a good job today, but ten years down the road when you need to do some mods or welding etc ... just gets in the way.

It actually may be a great part time employment opportunity  for me or others.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:58 PM, Los_Control said:

Powder coating is something I like, but not really understand yet.

In some cases, it seems to be the cats meow.

I followed a guy on youtube for awhile,  and watched as he was disabled like me, and he did powder coating in his garage for a second income.

He actually started out just using a old electric kitchen oven. Was limited to the size of parts he could coat, but he was able to do a good job.

After a year or two, he actually built a booth, and shared the plans to build it, and could powder coat axles and other larger items.

Was 6' tall and you limited to what you can get in it.

For some reason I am bias against powder coating .... for myself.  I think it may do a good job today, but ten years down the road when you need to do some mods or welding etc ... just gets in the way.

It actually may be a great part time employment opportunity  for me or others.

pretty much any paint that last that long will "be in the way"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

pretty much any paint that last that long will "be in the way"

The biggie for me, my frame has survived 70 years so far, a new coat of paint and will look new again.

Not impossible, but not easy to remove powder coating from hard to get to areas for future repairs.

I just do not want powder coating on my classic auto.

On the other hand, equipment, on/off road 4x4, motorcycles ... all good candidates for powder coating.

And just my opinion.

powder coating is for an item that will never be subjected to scratches...once the bond is compromised....it will disintegrate internally with the coating is retaining a look that all is well....I am still not a big fan of powder coating for these reasons...at least paint will blister and reveal that corrosion is present and active...

3 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

once the bond is compromised....it will disintegrate internally with the coating is retaining a look that all is well

There is a dude on youtube that runs a welding shop, I watch a lot of his vids. He built a really nice tilt bed equipment trailer, and then had it all powder coated.

He spent a lot of money having the powder coating done.

Trailer worked perfect for his cat the backhoe, his bigger tractors etc... one 2 wheeled drive tractor he used a lot, tires would spin and start going sideways while loading.

He had to grind the powder coating off, then weld cleats on the deck so the tractor tires could bite. ... Now is a compromised situation.

If I build a hot rod with a flathead 6, (oxymoron) then santa clause drops a Hemi under my tree, going to have to grind and weld ... same thing if later I want to change my trans to a T5 or a crack develops in the frame, a shock mount breaks.

I just would not use it on something I care about.