Post war start up and early production

greg g

Based on my car's serial number, she is the 11901 to roll off the assembly line as a deluxe model.  I wonder how many of the previous 11900 still exist?  I believe mine was built the third week of October.  Does anyone know when post war production started and how many cars were produced per week or per month? Does anyone have an car with a lower number of the Detroit built cars.  According to a published list 15154001 was the first deluxe model built in Detroit, mine is 15165901.

Edited by greg g

Good question. I don't know but I too would like to know how many are still around and which one would be the earliest number. My dad bought a '46 Plymouth two door sedan in 1948. It was a Deluxe model with the plain dash, no arm rests or horn ring and the dash colored panel where the ignition switch was rather than chrome. I remember once when he had it repaired, the mechanic told him that he had to special order a part because it was an early '46. I know that a lot of P15's were produced and like the fact that so many are still around.

John R

Plymouth didn't build any cars till Oct. 22, 1945. They built 86 Special Deluxe models and 684 Deluxe models in a little over two months. The VIN is on the right door, mounted vertical. A doctor in Trinidad,CO was the owner of my early edition, Business Coupe. I'll try and attach the Allpar article.

plymouth history.htm

Edited by 9 foot box
wrong date