P15 transmission mounts

Iron Mike

Has anyone had experience replacing mounts for a 3-speed manual transmission on a P15? My 1947 Plymouth is in a transmission shop because it wouldn't shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. The shop informed me that the transmission mounts on the rear of the transmission are bad and need replacing. The shop tried various parts suppliers and couldn't find transmission mounts available. However, they located a set of universal engine mounts that look like they would work for transmission mounts. Anybody had experience with using these mounts? Thanks.

On 7/29/2019 at 8:39 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

Joe, I peeked under the car today and yes, the left side looks tight, and the bolt head is very close to the clutch fork arm. I'll need to take a look at the bell housing clearance to see if the engine can be jacked up enough to insert the upper mount. Looks like I would need about twice the vertical clearance as the mount is long. This may stay on my low-priority to-do list.....  ;)

engine-mount.jpg.d91c64be739235c404b829b17918fd7b.jpg

This is posted on Sam Buchanans thread about clutch and engine mounts.. I got my mounts from Andy Bernbaums under the engine section. https://www.oldmoparts.com Upper mounts are $12.00 ea and the lower are $10.00. When I changed my rear motor mounts, it was a bite in the backside. I can't remember if I pulled the bell housing, but I do know it was a very tight fit on the left side. The right side was fairly straight forward. But that left side was an SOB. I jacked the engine up and I believe the bell housing was hitting the bottom of the fire wall. The problem is the metal bushing w/washer attached to it, that goes thru the bushing was just a touch to long. If I remember correctly you have the bolt and washer going thru the bell housing flange, then the metal flange tube piece that goes thru the mount and under the bell housing flange and sits on the cross member. then under the cross member was the washer and nut attaching to the bolt. It's been over 5 years since I did this, so my memory is hazy. Or it my be my alzhiemers kicking in. (what where we talking about again?)

Joe Lee

I found on my 50 Ply. the same issue with the driver side rear mount install so- -

I took the pipe section loose from the upper washer by putting in a vise just open wide enough for the pipe part to drop down in with washer on top and took  a correct size punch and hammer and rotated the pipe -hit -rotate -etc.-until pipe came loose.

Install just the top rubber and washer, install pipe from below add lower parts.

I installed the bolt from below and used a locking nut on top to insure it would never fall out.

PS- I still had to use a hammer to get the top rubber mount and washer in place-  What a pita!

DJ

1 hour ago, Iron Mike said:

Has anyone had experience replacing mounts for a 3-speed manual transmission on a P15? My 1947 Plymouth is in a transmission shop because it wouldn't shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. The shop informed me that the transmission mounts on the rear of the transmission are bad and need replacing. The shop tried various parts suppliers and couldn't find transmission mounts available. However, they located a set of universal engine mounts that look like they would work for transmission mounts. Anybody had experience with using these mounts? Thanks.

There are no transmission mounts on the rear of the transmission on a P-15????

Trans mount ???

Ya know, that big chunk of iron thingy that the trans bolts to!   ?

DJ