Chasing Transmission Leak; '48 P15

Sam Buchanan

On 8/10/2019 at 6:53 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

The lower rail has a plug and it appears to be dry, I had applied sealant to it the first time. The upper rail does not have a plug and one isn't shown in the manual.

transmission-6.jpg.9c6694a72f5c446b0fa16689efebb03b.jpg

transmission-7.jpg.c4bc3a24f7ef28223da07ff31264349b.jpg

The sealant is non-hardening and can easily removed if needed, but I'm hoping I never see this scene again!  :)

Oddly the gasket has a hole where the upper rail is located. Guess this is a universal gasket that is also used for other applications? The gasket will get trimmed this time to remove the unneeded portion on the bottom.

transmission-8.jpg.1132afb0573d888a282e908af438f62a.jpg

That extra gasket bottom is for transmissions like mine with extra mount holes.

IMG_5271 bottom holes.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bryan said:

That extra gasket bottom is for transmissions like mine with extra mount holes.

Also, I might stick a tight shallow rubber plug in this hole and cover it with sealant.  3.25 oz for $20 beats 1 oz for $16.

IMG_5268 leak hole.jpg

29 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I wonder if that hole is supposed to be open as a vent?  I don't see any vent.

On the bell housing it was facing metal, but surrounded by gasket material. You would think they would have put a side pipe with a small mesh filter on it. I think Dodge was just trying to make too many universal fits. Just like Sam's transmission without lower bolt holes.

34 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I wonder if that hole is supposed to be open as a vent?  I don't see any vent.

But you are right to make me look further. I think on Sam's I see a little port on the inside side of the hole. It might be to oil the end of that shaft in his.  I'll look at mine today.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Also, I might stick a tight shallow rubber plug in this hole and cover it with sealant.  3.25 oz for $20 beats 1 oz for $16.

IMG_5268 leak hole.jpg

That is the shift shaft hole, do not put a plug in it, if you do the shaft movement will be inhibited.

1 hour ago, DJK said:

That is the shift shaft hole, do not put a plug in it, if you do the shaft movement will be inhibited.

Yep, first cut at sealing up leaks I outsmarted myself and plugged that hole......ended up not being able to shift into reverse.  ?

But if the gasket is sealed around that hole it shouldn't leak. Biggest leaker on my tranny was the bearing retainer cover.

3 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Yep, first cut at sealing up leaks I outsmarted myself and plugged that hole......ended up not being able to shift into reverse.  ?

But if the gasket is sealed around that hole it shouldn't leak. Biggest leaker on my tranny was the bearing retainer cover.

Yep, got pictures of it this morning. Finished with lunch break.  It's got a side port in the hole with a shaft head. No plug going in there. Main leak is from the shaft area. Last pic.

IMG_5332 tran hole.jpg

IMG_5335 trans hole.jpg

IMG_5344.JPG

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Yep, got pictures of it this morning. Finished with lunch break.  It's got a side port in the hole with a shaft head. No plug going in there. Main leak is from the shaft area. Last pic.

IMG_5332 tran hole.jpg

IMG_5335 trans hole.jpg

IMG_5344.JPG

Be sure you check to see if you need to modify the retainer cover. There are also seals around the cover bolt heads. The manual describes how to determine proper gasket thickness.

transmission-1.jpg.24317848be69ca5097ba0cb10d0c5b89.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 12:17 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

Decided to modify the bearing retainer per the service manual:

FYI, the sealant is a fantastic product, also is a great non-hardening adhesive. It was developed as a fuel tank sealant for the B1 bomber and has sealed over 20,000 RV aircraft tanks. My 20-year-old tanks are still fuel-tight. If anyone is interested in having this in their shop here is a source:

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?ident=1565367378-16-348&browse=misc&product=proseal

If stored in a refrig it will keep for years.

Got it today. Took a while to get here.  Thanks.  

Transmission seal.jpg