Tiny coolant line

ThriftyT

I’m far from an expert, but I’ve never seen anything like this either.  It looks like a by-pass line or an overflow line of some kind.  What year and make of vehicle is this on?  Hopefully, someone with more expertise will be able to shed some light on this for you.  I’ll be following your posts,  because I’d like to know what it’s for too!  

• Thanks 1

Greg g called it. These cars were a zero pressure system for cooling. That being said, I have never seen this on these old Mopars. Looking at the thermostat housing it seems like this a housing for a different engine. That port looks manufactured on the housing. May be some ones gee whiz thing they saw on something else. But that line is redundant to the bypass part of the housing.

Joe Lee

20 hours ago, soth122003 said:

Greg g called it. These cars were a zero pressure system for cooling. That being said, I have never seen this on these old Mopars. Looking at the thermostat housing it seems like this a housing for a different engine. That port looks manufactured on the housing. May be some ones gee whiz thing they saw on something else. But that line is redundant to the bypass part of the housing.

Joe Lee

Thermostat housing is a pre-war model and looks exactly like my 41, minus the nipple

WP_20170121_12_53_07_Pro.jpg

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Thanks 1

That seems to explain the same round flat spot on the thermostat housing of our D24, that is not drilled and tapped.  Apparently for some ulterior motive, but it seems kind of pointless.  The better question may be what heater set-up your car has, or had?  Was this something for a severe winter market to provide that faster heat for the defroster?  Multiple heaters in the cabin that need a tad more flow, or a better air bleed?  I've never seen that set-up, either, and now I'm anxious to know not so much what it's for, but how it is supposed to work/improve something. 

8 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

My 47 has the same bypass housing as yours and it is not pre war.........and the engine is the same one that came with the car when built.

Never implied only used on pre-war. Just answering soth122003 about design of housing. Later models had more vertical outlet. 

2 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Never implied only used on pre-war. Just answering soth122003 about design of housing. Later models had more vertical outlet. 

I did not imply that you implied that you said it was pre war only, it was only a simple observation that mine is similar to yours but of a different era. Now what are the implications of that....lol.

EDIT. I wonder if it has a military connection, the power wagons and M-37s have different equipment on these engines than their civilian counterparts.

Edited by Frank Elder
  • Haha 1

looked in my official US Army TM 10-1442 Dated Feb. 15, 1942, Group 5, cooling, no pictured small tube, no mention of small tube in parts list.  There was only one distinction in the by-pass elbow...Ambulance and non-ambulance...yet the hose is the same for all....

manual covers WC21,23,24,25,26,27 and 41  the official was a major general by the name of ADAMS.....got mothing more to say...my dog is now asleep, don't wake him.....lol

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

11 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

It rather interesting for I have always wondered about the round raised area. Could it be and even earlier option ? Where they too lazy to change castings?

1376853881_thermostathus5.jpg.13346d7bf6dc29c1a21f649ffef1d592.jpge mold ?

simple answer here......over the years the changing temperature has cause a molecular shift and thus the resultant sagging......did not say it was a good answer, or right answer, just a simple answer.....

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

simple answer here......over the years the changing temperature has cause a molecular shift and thus the resultant sagging......did not say it was a good answer, or right answer, just a simple answer.....

? Climate change ?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Like this? If's water tight, I'd leave it.

all.JPG

Yup.   Pretty darn similar to that.     See I don’t like clutter and unneeded things, so I was going to remove it.   But I guess I better leave it.  Darn.