Water tube question.

johnsartain

After having difficulty replacing my water tube and failing to extract the bugger, I was wondering what the odds are that the water tube in a flathead 218 aligns with the middle row of head bolts? (I did not disassemble this engine completely and tried to do it with the head still on.) Might that make it more difficult to pull and replace the water tube with the head bolted to the engine? This could be an issue particularly if the bolts are a shade too long. Thoughts anyone?

I'd be surprised if the head bolts could touch the tube......generally its the tube being a PITA...........they can be VERY HARD to remove, I finally had success by using a pair of very large screw drivers jammed in each side at the front and sort of "wedging" the bastard thing out .....admittedly too I only had the engine block out of the car and it still was a mongrel to remove.............just getting bad nightmares again.........lol.............I thought I'd forgotten the pain.......lol................good luck........andyd

The head bolts do not contact, or otherwise hold the water distribution tube in.  The tube is just a royal PIA to get out.  Doing so has come up a few times herein, with "secrets" to successfully removing one.  

I found it interesting reading about the tube, mostly concerning the manifold bolts. Using a flat steel bar makes sense as well. I was skittish about pounding a bar in beside the tube.  The reason I am concerned about the head bolts is that mine are not new old stock bolts. They are Pioneer PG-362-25 bolts of the same size thread and are about 1/4"  longer than stock bolts. Knowing that the water distribution tube is accessible behind the manifold bolts gives another option to break it loose from the side of the water jackets as well. 

I've pulled a half dozen so far and (knock on wood) so far have pulled all without them falling to pieces. I fish a piece of bailing wire through the top hole( which is a quarter inch or so inside the top of the tube) I attached the wire to a slide hammer, which creates a jolt to loosen it up.  I've heard the horror stories of others fishing out in pieces. Hopefully this is not you're case. 

Attached is what I wish for you. The engine was rebuilt in ' 78. I pulled it out a couple of years ago. I wiped it off and it shined like a new penny!

IMG_0645-1380x2448.JPG