Found my way back

cheesy

Hey all, been MIA for quite awhile. My company went through a reorganization late in 2017 and they've had me on the road almost constantly since. As a company, they did a bad job of it and we are now fast approaching reorg #4.

Anyway, I didn't have much time for the DeSoto the past almost two years. The car also started over heating. Badly. I talked to my Dad about it and said the car always ran hot, which was why he added an auxiliary fan. To me it shouldn't be that way, so I back flushed the system. Didn't work. Had the rad boiled out. Didn't work. Replaced the water pump. Didn't work. Someone, somewhere, mentioned the water distribution had to be the problem, as I went through everything else. I bought a tube last September in the hope of being able to work from home for a couple of weeks, but that didn't happen.

I finally scored a couple of weeks at home and caught up on all the honey do stuff and I was finally able to get to the DeSoto last Tuesday.

When I finally got everything apart,  I found the pump end of the tube almost pinched closed.

I pulled the head to check the fluid passages and found the head bolt tightness all over the place. I pulled the tube and found it in good shape but there was a big wad of black RTV plugging the ports to the number 6 cylinder. Unplugged and cleaned the tube, reinstalled it, and formed the pump end to the block. I chased all the threads in the block and head bolts and found black RTV on those. Jeez, Dad.

Buttoned it all back up and let it run. Temp never exceeded 180F. Retorqued the head and went for a ride. Ten miles at 60mph and the temp never exceeded 180F. 75 miles today and the same results. Back to being stoked about the car. Too bad I'm back on the road tomorrow.

Edited by cheesy
  • Like 2

Welcome Back.........sounds like you have had a WIN!!........lol.........got a pic of the car?.....we like pics....lol...............andyd

9 hours ago, YukonJack said:

I'm surprised the water distribution tube came out so easy and in one piece.

Me too. I’d heard they could be a bear to get out. I couldn’t budge it by pulling with my homemade hook but was able to get it to move when I grabbed the hook with a long pair of needle nose pliers and levered it. Moved it back and forth a few times then gave a yank. Went down on my can with the tube in my lap. 

It’s a good thing the tube was reusable as the replacement was a few inches shorter than the one I pulled out.

I’m guessing the tube was probably replaced, poorly, before my Dad bought the car.

4 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

Those head bolts should have some sort of thread sealer on them as most go into the water jacket.

They do. Underside of the bolt heads, too. Loc-tite 565. I work with hydraulics and every one of my tool boxes has a tube.

• Like 1