New to the forum and 48 fuel pump issues...

whippersnapper48

Hey All,

First off, this is my first post to the forum as I am a new Plymouth owner.  I got this car recently from a very good friend.  He had the car running a year ago, and I have also had the car running with an auxiliary fuel source.  I wasn't getting fuel to the carb, so I ruled the fuel pump a dud.  I put a new one on and am still not getting fuel into the bowl.  I'm pretty sure I have the lever on the right side of the cam.  I blew both the intake and carb lines out.  I was able to hear the air in the gas tank, and  to clear the line to the carb line, but Im still not getting gas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jon.

do a hand over hand of the fuel lines..if you have a pin hole it may never leak fuel but will prevent a suction to the tank....also the internal of the tank at the fuel filter can be such it will allow you to blow back but still not allow flow...….I would start with the tank connection and verify flow...then verify line integrity with a bit of pressure on the fuel line when disconnected at the tank and also disconnected at the pump inlet and plugged....hopefully the pump you got is not so old that it is dry rotted internally 

Less then  a shade tree mechanic here, If the cam lobe was worn, would not operate the fuel pump ... that be pretty desperate and a electric fuel pump would cure it.

I suspect a stuck needle for the float? ... can you stick a gas can on the hood and gravity fill the carb?

Would eliminate the fuel pump from the picture.

The B&B carb is pretty simple to work on ... basic as it can be.

Edited by Los_Control
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, whippersnapper48 said:

The lobe is not worn heavily. only 60000 original miles on this one.  I had the car running from a gravity tank i built per OP

Sounds great then. I suspect PA is correct then, crud in the tank and a one way flapper valve created from rust.

I had same issue on my truck am working on. I ran it off the tank for some time, then it started running out of fuel. I replaced fuel pump and no change.

I rigged up some fittings and connected my air compressor to the fuel line before the fuel pump. I could hear air coming into the tank, ear to gas filler tube.

It still would run out of gas.

Now I have a gas can on the bumper, and rubber line from fuel pump to can. It works fine this way.

You could also try that, just put your can on the ground and see if your fuel pump pulls gas from it.

I have a new gas tank from Tanks on the shelf, need to weld in the new floor before installing the gas tank though. Will also replace line.

I really doubt your cam is bad .... old small block chubbies had soft cams, was always wearing cam lobes.

I am not sure it is even possible for you to mount the fuel pump on wrong side of cam lobe. I could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, whippersnapper48 said:

Hey All,

First off, this is my first post to the forum as I am a new Plymouth owner.  I got this car recently from a very good friend.  He had the car running a year ago, and I have also had the car running with an auxiliary fuel source.  I wasn't getting fuel to the carb, so I ruled the fuel pump a dud.  I put a new one on and am still not getting fuel into the bowl.  I'm pretty sure I have the lever on the right side of the cam.  I blew both the intake and carb lines out.  I was able to hear the air in the gas tank, and  to clear the line to the carb line, but Im still not getting gas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jon.

I've seen this movie before.  :)

Six months ago I started awakening my '48 P16 from a five-year hibernation. I ran into fuel delivery issues just as you described and tried many of the diagnostics others have suggested. 

The solution; new fuel tank, new fuel sender, new fuel lines, new carb float, and new electric fuel pump. The ol' girl runs great now, just needed to get rid of a bunch of 71-year-old fuel problems.

I tried piecemeal repairs for three weeks, would have been far better off just replacing the entire fuel system first thing. Remember the old TV commercial?  "You can pay me now or you can pay me later".....     :)

Get it fixed and enjoy your new ride!

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Haha 1

Thanks all!

As always, old car people are the best and first to help.  I have pretty extensive knowledge when it comes to flat head v8's and fours, but the Mopar world is a different language.  Im learning that I like this language.

I've seen a few different Mopar six fuel pumps however they all seem to have the cam lever whilst at various angles they all seem to work o/k, however I'd check the pump diaphram is o/k, also there have been posts on here over the years that have pointed out problems with the wrong fuel cap that is not vented and seals too well creating a vacuum........I'd also check the carby needle & seat, and fuel lines for a blockage......these are a simple car but they can also get a simple problem.....lol.......Welcome aboard from Oz..........Andydl

have you replaced the rubber flexible fuel  line that connects to the FP and the metal line that is along the lower right side of the radiator.  The line might be so old that the rubber in the line has collapsed and is blocking the flow of the fuel into the pump and then into the carb.  Also are you getting any gas into the fuel bowl in the carb.  Is the float adjusted correctly also might be a stuck needle in the float area.

Rich Hartung

• Like 2

This reminds me of an extended nightmare with my 1938 Dodge pickup. It had intermittent fuel starvation problems. It would run fine for about 20 miles or so and die a lurching death. If I waited 15 minutes or so it would start and go for a short while. I ended up replacing just about everything in the fuel system. I rebuilt the carb twice, sent the tank to Tank Renu, blew out the lines with compressed air. Nothing solved it. Completely frustrating. I really abused my AAA membership during that time.

Finally I found the cause. There was a small seed that had apparently gotten into the fuel tank and got sucked up all the way to just downstream of the flex hose right before the mechanical fuel pump. After running for a while it would get sucked up into the brass fitting. It fit just like the needle valve in a carburetor. Once the fuel pump stopped it slowly floated away downstream. I "deseeded" the fuel system and it's been running good since. I saved that damn seed...

Pete

• Haha 1

I had a similar problem with a small piece if debris between the inlet and outlet Chambers.  At low flow idle to 20 30 mph it was fine.  When demand got higher the thin would act like a flapper valve stopping the flow. Pull over wait a couple minutes, start right up, exceed 30 and it would shutter and die. When you get your new tank installed put a filter between the tank and the pump inlet.

I have a spare 251 industrial and I noticed the arm of the fuel pump had a small 1\8" weld added at the contact point. There seemed to be no noticable wear on the cam. Farm yard fix?