I Hate Jack Stands

Sam Buchanan

I remember Jack ,  didn't like him.... always the last to buy a round of beer.

My Dad went into the auto salvage/repair business in '60 when he bought a business from an older guy who was retiring.  One of the items included was a lot of good stand.  Early Ford banjo axle housing with a notch cut in the top/outer end.  Good steel, good solid base and really tall! 

Pulled a lot of transmissions and engines using those.  Nice and high, easy to roll around on the creeper.  Of course, it required a matching high lift floor jack to get them set in place. Sure wish I'd kept those when he retired in '90.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hansen said:

I have these.

Skärmavbild_2019-08-02_kl._19_33_22.png

Hansen,

I REALLY like your car!

Walt

IMG_2276.jpg.abfef809348d183c4aebdcc918bdb69e.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 1:00 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Chinese electronics safe to use... Chinese tool maybe not....

Chinese Crap J-stand with garbage cast metal.png

YIPE!!! Now that is scary. I use my floor jack to raise the car to the desired height and then place my metal drive on ramps underneath each side of the frame with blocks of wood (pieces of 4X4) on top to support the car. I too leave the floor jack underneath as well. My rule of thumb - at least two means of support always.

John R

9 hours ago, YukonJack said:

That's not true! ?

Different Jack. ......... I am very fond of " Yukon Jack"

• Like 1

Looking at Don Coatney's  Ford axle tube stands :  I have had 2 for years then more recently fished 4 out of a scrap bin.  Great find I would say.

A good sturdy stand, non adjustable and with a bit of nostalgia.  These axle tubes were used on all Fords up to '48 so there should still be some

around for conversion into stands.  Save the ones with a good axle bearing surface for the Ford guys.  The axle shafts make excellent tethers for young 

cattle as the gear keeps the rope from slipping off....  heavy but effective tent pegs  but not so good for horse shoes

• Thanks 1

I grabbed these off craigslist. Snap on brand I believe made for them by Walker. I have a similar set from OTC. Good stuff is still around if you shell out the $$$. To the original poster if your jackstands only go to 15" you need an upgrade. These bigger ones go to 2' or slightly over and with that you get a much bigger pad for the ground and the car

IMAG1602.jpg

3 hours ago, Young Ed said:

To the original poster if your jackstands only go to 15" you need an upgrade.

The reason I made my shop stands 15" is because that about is as high as I can get the frame rails with my floor jack without going to extra effort. If I need to go higher it is just a matter of adding more 4x4 blocks to the stands.

Yep, there are probably several items in my shop that could stand an upgrade....  ;)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

I under stand that....but with todays 4 post  lifts, good level pad....you do not even bolt these puppies down....and you can put an interlock switch to auto shut off when you reach the max height in your particular application and lock in the closest locking port for unloading the hydraulics.  Then if and when you get to a position to get a taller ceiling, you golden.