Pickup identification challenge

Dodge Pickup - 

176(1).JPG

Dodge Pickup - 2 dr

57(1).JPG

These pickups are going to be on an auction about an hour away.  I am looking for body parts for a 48 B1B and they look better in the pictures than my current project. I will try to go to the auction and check the pillar tags, but just wondering what the models might be based on pictures.  I know some of the rest of you can identify these much enter than myself, so I’m throwing out to the forum. I think the first one is 48-49 and the second one maybe 50-52, but that is as far as I would guess. What do you think?

I'm looking for 1954, 55, 56 Dodge 4.5 ton 10 wheel Semi Tractor with a 413.16 --- any chance you seen one?  Charlie Stephenson

First one appears to be a '50 B-2, based on the steel grill bars. It's hard to tell from the picture angle, but possibly a 3/4 ton, C model. This one would be the best match up to the body panels on your B-1-B.

The second one is a '51-'52 B-3-C. Most of the body panels of this truck will be slightly different than your truck. Hood, nose, and doors are certainly different. Front fenders may be slightly different too.

Edited by Merle Coggins

First one is a 1950. *

The correct doors for your ride are 48-50

51-53 doors will fit a 48-50, but are not correct.

Second is a 51-52......53 had square rear fenders.

Front fenders will fit on all models 48-53

There are two hoods designs...48-50 (no body line) ...and 51-53 (body line on lower edge)

*1948-49's came with either no grille bars or Stainless Steel grille bars.

48,49 are hard to tell apart without paperwork.

1950 had painted grille bars as an option.

Now if farmer joe smashed his SS bars and went to the yard and picked up painted bars?.....You can check the door badge if it has one.

It'll say B-1-B  (1948-49)  B-2-B  (1950)

My belief its a 50, because most farmers just pulled the bars off and left it like that.

48D

Actually there are THREE hood designs....Brent clued me on on a small change on how the prop arms connect that differentiate a difference in the B3 and B4 style hoods.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

*1948-49's came with either no grille bars or Stainless Steel grille bars.

48,49 are hard to tell apart without paperwork.

1950 had painted grille bars as an option.

Now if farmer joe smashed his SS bars and went to the yard and picked up painted bars?.....You can check the door badge if it has one.

It'll say B-1-B  (1948-49)  B-2-B  (1950)

My belief its a 50, because most farmers just pulled the bars off and left it like that.

48D

Actually, the stainless grill bars were standard on all light trucks in the B-1 series. Medium and Large trucks got the painted steel grill bars, with stainless as an option.

The change in 1950 to the B-2 series made the painted steel grill bars standard on all trucks, with stainless as an option.

If 48-49's came with Grille bars they were stainless steel,......I've seen quite a few 48-49's that didn't come with bars.

Otherwise you just repeated what I said....???

48D

I don't know that any trucks left the factory without grill bars, but many got removed over the years for whatever reason.

And I was just clarifying your statement,  "1950 had painted grille bars as an option" to say that Stainless was the option in '50 and painted steal was standard. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I don't know that any trucks left the factory without grill bars, but many got removed over the years for whatever reason.

And I was just clarifying your statement,  "1950 had painted grille bars as an option" to say that Stainless was the option in '50 and painted steal was standard. 

I'd agree that they were standard.  I can't imagine they were sold without bars...removed by owners before we've seen them I could see ALL DAY LONG.

5 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Actually there are THREE hood designs....Brent clued me on on a small change on how the prop arms connect that differentiate a difference in the B3 and B4 style hoods.

But the hood sheet metal is the same???

Time to chime in Brent!

48D

14 hours ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

I'm looking for 1954, 55, 56 Dodge 4.5 ton 10 wheel Semi Tractor with a 413.16 --- any chance you seen one?  Charlie Stephenson

Charlie-No, I haven’t seen one but will watch out for one.

Thanks for all of the information...I suspected there would be great input and am not disappointed. If you’re bored, the listings for those pickups and a myriad of other vehicles is at https://www.usauctionid.com/auction/DaveTeeterRestorableVehicleAuction. That said, I hope y’all don’t show up and bid against me!

TW

8 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

But the hood sheet metal is the same???

Time to chime in Brent!

48D

yah, it all has to do with the area where the hood prop arm attaches to the hood.  One has a welded tab, the other a bent piece of sheetmetal.   Maybe Brent can post pictures!

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

yah, it all has to do with the area where the hood prop arm attaches to the hood.  One has a welded tab, the other a bent piece of sheetmetal.   Maybe Brent can post pictures!

ECCD0FFC-5BBA-4EE8-B7E7-C044009B7CAD.jpeg.a93dc623e775d8e66cb21a53e2e05dbd.jpeg30962C4C-CFC4-4DCC-BE3B-7C0CF0AA6012.jpeg.5082e3c0d6d555ef7fa576091d588311.jpeg

disclaimer, the above is for the purist nerds (like ggdad1951 and myself ?)

• Like 3