Lost ring - stay tuned

DonaldSmith

Over a week ago, my wife lost her diamond wedding-and engagement ring.  She was making cookies, so she removed the ring and set it on the counter.   And it disappeared. 

Could the ring have been knocked off the edge of the counter and under the stove?  Nope.   Pulled the stove out (and cleaned behind the stove). 

Dropped into a drawer?  Nope. 

Could my wife have absent-mindedly put the ring in the china cabinet or her jewelry cabinet?  Nope. 

We searched the proverbial high-and-low, and couldn't find the ring.   

Today, we bought a plain white gold band, knowing from 55 years of experience that buying a replacement would be just the thing to make the ring appear - when we were not looking for it.

The diamond ring appeared on the kitchen counter this afternoon. 

How could this happen?  Magic. 

I'll let the boys mull on it for a while, and then I will explain how it happened.     

Not stuck to the bottom of the cookie batter bowl. 

Not in a chocolate chip cookie, although I am well into the search. 

The knifes are kept in a wood block, which has been slid around the counter top.  The bottom of the block is very close to the surface of the counter.

There is a void in the center of the block, to receive scissors.  The void extends through the b lock, top to bottom.

I surmise that either the ring was placed in the void from the top, or more likely, the block was tipped just enough to capture the ring. 

Today, the block was next to the cookie jar, but I must have tipped the block in moving it.  

In my diligent search for a ring in a cookie, I pulled the cookie jar forward, and then saw the ring sitting pretty on the counter. 

(Wood block- the void is hard to see, between the back feet.) 

149722313_Ringcatcher.JPG.372e25135b6681a17fb333d0736e7581.JPG

• Haha 1