my new 1939 P8 Business coupe

n1gzd_plymouth

My 39 is a very strange, "Twilight Zone": It was built in the Long Beach CA Chys. plant on January 29, 1939. Was shipped to a dealer in San Francisco  on Jan 30. The car spent some time in the Bay Area where it was customized, chrome etc., removed and filled, running boards removed, lic plate Frenched into the rear deck. '49 Plym bumpers were installed. The interior was mostly not touched, just minor repairs to the leather. The car was painted yellow over the original black. The car showed up in Denton, MT in 1951, that's when the man that I got it from purchased it in trade for a motor cycle. I'm not to sure who got the best deal, a convertible and/or a motor cycle in Central Montana would not be a good form of transportation.

Sometime in '52 the engine was removed from the car to re-power a grain combine, the car never moved again until I found the car in the early spring of '96. I brought the '39 home to California in the fall of '96. I joined the POC in the fall of '96, and when I did I found out that at that point in time there were 31 P8 RS conv cpes known to exist in the world. There are now 81 at last count. I know where there are seven or eight scattered around the US and Australia..  

The 39 Ply was the most challenging vehicle I ever restored. I tried my best to use original DPCD parts when I could find them, it took me ten years to find the rear quarter panel trim.

• Like 1

I cruise my '39 business coupe on the local freeway at 60 -67 mph 30 miles a day each way to work.  She has a 218, 3.9 stock rear end, and no OD.  Have already put on 20k miles in 4 years. No issues at all and runs strong.  Previous owner cruised it that fast when it had the stock 201, drove it from washington state over passes to wyoming in the 70s.  I don't understand why people think they can't cruise faster than 50-55 (unless maybe an extremely tired engine).

Screenshot_20190528-190705_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Polsonator2
  • Like 1