So close.... now what ? Suggestions please

JSabah

Got the engine in today only to find that my new intake BARELY fits. It just touches the firewall. Any suggestions as to what to do... (please don’t mention how I f’ed up the firewall... I tried and tried but I just couldn’t get it in without a couple of scratches 

267BC36A-43AF-45A1-9AF5-25437CE13D9F.jpeg

04A28F78-0B39-4FE6-B26F-AE8A2498A64A.jpeg

given the fixed positions of the engine mounts front and rear....you either go back to stock intake, change to a less square  and sweeping runner, modify this intake with a slice dice and weld or lastly and least attractive, massage the firewall a bit....IF you must have the aluminum intake, and as that huge square corner of the runner is not really attributing any performance...slice and dice here would be my go to given the rarity of a woodie body.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I need to double check the exhaust manifold too.  I think it clears but barely - how much clearance should I go for ? I'm going to try a  rounded block of wood and a hammer ... Or maybe my air chisel with a hammer head on it.

5 hours ago, JSabah said:

I need to double check the exhaust manifold too.  I think it clears but barely - how much clearance should I go for ? I'm going to try a  rounded block of wood and a hammer ... Or maybe my air chisel with a hammer head on it.

That would be my choice.  Somewhere I have, or had as I loaned it and haven't seen it in awhile, a tool I made for that.  about a 3" disc of 3/8" thick steel welded to a air hammer chisel and ground to a mushroom shape.  Makes a nice big dimple with not obvious signs of trauma.  First used to massage a trans tunnel in a '79 D50 to accept a Ford C4.

First are all of your motor mounts in new shape??

Can the rear motor mounts be loosened are motor moved slightly towards the driver side and re-tightened down??

LAST THOUGHT CAN THE PASSENGER SIDE OF MOTOR BE LIFTED SLIGHTLYand shim installed to get clearance??

Sorry hit caps lock by accident! ?

DJ

What is my goal for clearance? Am I looking for “just making it piece of paper”? 1/16”? 1/8? Or more. 

I already “massaged” the firewall a bit. Now for some touch up and I should be good. 

1B5B3968-D8C7-4BBA-AF3D-0D271EEC86FF.jpeg

Well it appears that he took "massage lessons" from Jack Armstrong's book on how to build your arm muscles with a weight held in your hand and with a swinging motion done repetitively will add muscle mass. ?

A little paint hides everything -right?.

DJ

Heater on the right hand inner fender ... now that I’m looking at the attached pix, I’m wondering if the heater will even fit..... I thought putting the car back together would would be the easy part 

4AEAF6A8-9547-4E3B-B618-5FB6241ABF89.jpeg

I see the evidence of shortcut to removal of the engine and tranny at one time in the past also...

If you can get the heater back in place with no interference to the air cleaners....the routing of the input air duct can be modified...it is going to have some challenge to it.  I fabricated my ducting out of metal long ago but admit I did not have to be concerned over multiple air cleaners...

More confusion.... while I was looking for my heater parts I came across a baggie marked “engine mounts”. The bag contained 2 square U bolts that I presume go to the front engine bracket (see pic below) ... but which way - facing down a pictured or with nuts and lock washers on top?

next question has me a bit more confused... in the baggie were 2 bolts (painted silver in picture) - problem is that they are too short for having upper and lower mounts. There are also only 2 discs that are the larger of the 2 sizes required (for the upper mounts) and nothing for the lowers (there are also 2 large thin rubber washers). The 2 longer bolts that I had kept with the trans/ engine parts are the perfect length for using both upper & lower conical mounts, a lower washer lock washer and nut....  but upon closer inspection I see that there is a shoulder (which fits nicely in the engine hole) and then the body is a bit thinner (which I thought was for in the distance piece) ant the threads widen out a bit (matching the shoulder). Other differences are that those are coarse threat and flanged.   While those bolts fit nicely I don’t believe they came from the engine mounts .... any idea where they belong? They look a bit specific/ special. If they belong somewhere else, I can just get the right length grade 8 for the mounts.... but I don’t know where they belong/should go. Sorry for the long windedness 

A59E910D-C7C7-4FB2-84B2-750ADF6485FB.jpeg

1691777D-9DCF-45EA-BBAD-717FB939F90E.jpeg

On 7/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, JSabah said:

What is my goal for clearance? Am I looking for “just making it piece of paper”? 1/16”? 1/8? Or more. 

I already “massaged” the firewall a bit. Now for some touch up and I should be good. 

1B5B3968-D8C7-4BBA-AF3D-0D271EEC86FF.jpeg

don't forget that the engine will shake a little (need more clearance than appears then it is just sitting not running).  Rebecca