Changing Ground Cable Location

Bingster

I'm just about ready to put a battery in my 47' Desoto and crank him after seven years dormant. From what I can tell, the ground cable was connected to the generator bracket, and as some have said here in the past, it's a pain to get at.

The front head bolt is a lot simpler, and I've seen it done. Is it a matter of unscrewing the head bolt, attaching the cable and re-attaching the bolt??

If you do have/find/replace the correct head bolt be sure to "shine it up" with no paint or rust where the cable contacts. Might also be a good time to replace the cable and have the proper gauge size,  0 or 1 gauge I think is correct.

When I got my car, the ground cable was attached at the front head bolt. But I moved it to the factory location at the generator mounting bracket bolt. I just didn't like the looks of it at the top of the engine, and I didn't like tightening a head bolt with the ground cable end under it. Probably makes no difference, but makes me feel better. Yes, it's a bit of a pain to install it, but how many times will I have to replace the ground cable? Hopefully years from now or never? Just my 2 cents worth....

• Like 3