The Best-laid Plans of Mice and Men.......

Sam Buchanan

I'm in the process of trying to conclude a saga involving the purchase of valve spring cover gaskets for my 218 P15. Three weeks ago I ordered the gaskets from MoParMall (Atlas Obsolete Motor Parts, Murrieta, CA) because I could save a few bucks on shipping over ordering from other sources (three-day Priority Mail). I received notification a shipping label had been created, then....radio silence. Ten days later I called and the nice rep was unable to find out what happened to my order. She said a fresh order would be placed, and it would arrive a few days later. More radio silence.....

After another call I was assured the gaskets would arrive later that day. They did. Unfortunately, I don't need valve cover gaskets for a Chrysler hemi!  :)

Another call to a friendly rep resulted in the third order being placed which arrived two days later. Unfortunately.....I don't need valve spring gaskets for a 25" engine.....  ;)

Another call resulted in the friendly rep pulling what they had in stock and it turns out all they have in the correct length is NOS that is as old as my car. I suspect the inside and outside dimensions got messed up when the repops I received were made which resulted in them being too long.

Guess I will order gaskets somewhere that will cost less than the shipping cost.....   

Oh well....the car is running beautifully, it just likes to mark its territory.   :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

9 minutes ago, The Oil Soup said:

Yep, I checked some chain stores but not O'Reilly...my bad.......  

Ordering from MoParMall was very easy, getting the parts wasn't. I'm sure they are fine folks.    :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

I have on many occasions stated here to give your local friendly a shot at filling parts orders.  While you can order online from many retailers, your recourse for claims is severely limited by phone and online communications.  Local friendlies to my experience are usually quick to remedy any situation where a wrong or defective part may come into play.  Many parts are not carried on the shelf, this is way too much to expect given the age of the vehicle in question but I have found many are not more than 2-3 days delivery (most overnight or same day if early morning request) and at no shipping costs.  I do not want to take anything away from any of our venders, but I also think our local folks deserve a crack now and then on common items.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I have on many occasions stated here to give your local friendly a shot at filling parts orders.  While you can order online from many retailers, your recourse for claims is severely limited by phone and online communications.  Local friendlies to my experience are usually quick to remedy any situation where a wrong or defective part may come into play.  Many parts are not carried on the shelf, this is way too much to expect given the age of the vehicle in question but I have found many are not more than 2-3 days delivery (most overnight or same day if early morning request) and at no shipping costs.  I do not want to take anything away from any of our venders, but I also think our local folks deserve a crack now and then on common items.   

I agree, and have worn out the door hinges at a couple of local parts emporiums.  (It's HIM again!! ? )

And some items (such as the gaskets at O'Reilly's) are available online even though you can't get them in the store. But the store will accept returns if needed.

Anybody need a set of cork valve cover gaskets for a hemi?   :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

You might find my parts cross reference useful: https://www.ply33.com/Parts/group9#980583 There are other parts of interest in there and starting with the search tool can be useful https://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric I am focused on the pre-WW2 cars but an amazing number of parts were used on cars from 1933 through 1959.

On the other hand, that is just about the simplest gasket to fabricate and you could use this as an opportunity to practice the craft. Some sheet cork gasket stock (should be available at any decent auto supply store), the cover to trace around for the outside, a straight edge to keep a good line on the inner cuts, a shop knife and if you want to be neat around the corners a pair of scissors.

Yes, that gasket would be easy to fabricate and I've made several gaskets on the car thus far (and for several other automotive and aviation projects). But if I can find it at a reasonable price I just as soon let some else make it.  :)

Your cross reference is a valuable resource and I have it bookmarked. I did find, however, that apparently NAPA no longer stocks the valve cover gasket set. But, even though the set didn't appear when searching per vehicle on AutoZone's site, it did show up there when searching with the FelPro part number. So doing multiple searches via different channels can often find results.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Just a suggestion..........clean the metal valve covers of any oil etc, then use contact cement, super glue or some such animal to glue the gaskets to the metal covers, when doing up the bolts or turnbuckle things use only enough pressure to make an oil tight seal...........on the 230 that I was going to use in the 41 Plymouth I intended to run a flat file around the valve opening edge on the block....on the 230 I had, the "edge" that supposedly sealed against the gasket was a curved profile, which I think is the standard thing .........I intended to use the file to give it more of a flat or squared off edge, perpendicular to the block so that the gasket had more surface area to seal against.......yeh....I sold the car & engine so this was only my theoretical answer to a possible oil leak but I'd do this if I ever have a flathead 6 again.............dunno if this is any help............lol..........the other alternative is to use the aftermarket finned alloy covers.......again I had thought about having the inside of these alloy milled in the shape of the gaskets, glue the gaskets on anyway and hopefully the milled gasket seating face and glued gasket would have stopped any leaks........I HATE leaks.............lol..........and I just checked US Ebay....under "plymouth engine finned side covers" theres new pair of Thickstun polished alloy covers for the 23" engine in Ca for $99 plus postage.......yummy!!............lol.........andyd   

Edited by Andydodge

15 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

This also gives you the pleasure of breaking in the new counter person when the folks you usually deal with see you coming and want to have a little fun at work.  The confused expressions usually begin with your response to the first question..."what year?"  Gets even better when they ask the make and you have an orphan car.  Sometimes they're more surprised than I when they have a part I need. 

When you get the right ones, make sure you don't overtightened them.  You can spring the sheet metal and the seal will be lost.  I found some small rubber washers that I put between the thumb screw and the cover to stop any weeping from the holes.  Also you might want to fish around in the galleries to assure the drain holes to the block are clear.  This should keep the oil level below the gasket..

A couple of years ago I replaced the valve cover gaskets on my DeSoto. I had a pair of NOS gaskets on hand that were dry and hard and had also shrunk a bit.I soaked them, but when I started to install the covers one of gaskets broke apart.I decided to cut new gaskets using composite cork and rubber gasket material.

Worked well for me. 

Edited by T120

To close the loop.....got the gaskets via UPS (arrived overnight) from O'Rielly's warehouse in Nashville. They appear to be the correct gaskets, FelPro VS4253C. This is the same set that Rock Auto sells.

valve-cover-gaskets.jpg.926751aae083ffbdb996480847742088.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Robbie Burns would be happy to know he's being quoted.. I actually prefer the poem in it's original form. ?

But, Mousie, thou art no thy-lane, 
In proving foresight may be vain; 
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men 
Gang aft agley, 
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, 
For promis'd joy

16 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

Robbie Burns would be happy to know he's being quoted.. I actually prefer the poem in it's original form. ?

But, Mousie, thou art no thy-lane, 
In proving foresight may be vain; 
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men 
Gang aft agley, 
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, 
For promis'd joy

Yep...been several times with this project things have gang aft agley....... (brakes!!).   ?

53 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Yep...been several times with this project things have gang aft agley....... (brakes!!).   ?

Hah!! Those are guaranteed to " lea'e us nought but grief an' pain " When you get your's fingered out come up here and fix mine!! I'll buy you dinner at Lambert's and fix you a place to sleep!!