Where were you? Apollo 11 1969

tom'sB2B

Late to the start here but here goes.

I was 13 and had been in Green Bay, WI at my cousins place. He and I were glued to the TV and both had our little Aiwa reel to reel tape recorders going. My Dad had gotten a call from work, so we had to leave early to get back home. I missed the landing on TV. But, while riding in the 3rd row seat of my parents 67 AMC Ambassador wagon, I had my Midland transistor radio glued to my ear. I shouted to my folks that they landed and my Dad layed on the horn. I remember “a lot of guys about to turn blue here” like it was yesterday.

Still have the Aiwa, the tapes, and the Midland though neither works anymore. 

Edited by cheesy
Grrrr auto correct.

Last weekend I talked my wife into visiting the USS Hornet. Retired aircraft carrier in Alameda CA. It picked up the returning Apollo 11 capsule. Am amazing view of what life is like aboard a carrier as well as the Apollo artifacts.

IMG_20190803_114116-2268x3024.jpg

I was 20.  Lived in a @80 per month house in Redondo Beach Ca.  Viewed the whole thing with my mentor of everything automotive and my best friend, Russ Lewis.  Sat there watching on my b/w Dumont tv while drinking a bottle of Bally Hai and eating pizza.  

We had junked out a '53 Pontiac earliethat day and were living the life.  Don't remember where the wife was that day but she was a downer anyways.

The moon landing was great to watch and had captivated an audience world wide.  My dad was in the aerospace industry at the time and had spent a lot of time sifting through launching failures during the early days before project Mercury.

A momentous day with or without the vino!!!