48' Ply Coupe - concerned about parts availability

Mountain Mopar

I am considering purchasing an inoperable 48' Plymouth Special Deluxe Coupe as a project.  I am a little concerned about parts availability.  In particular; the car is missing both front and rear seats and some trim.  I am finding trim on ebay, most of it is fairly expensive.  I am not finding seats anywhere.  I won't be trying to do a stock restoration, but I do want original style seats and trim.  I will also need a front passenger side fender.  Any good resources for original parts for these cars?  Should I be concerned about parts or just dive in?  This will be a long term project, I do not have to have everything together in any particular time frame.  Otherwise the car is fairly straight and rust free and the price is fair. The original engine is stuck, I'm not too concerned about that, I have a friend with a good flathead I think I can talk out of.  An early hemi would be cool, if I could find one. 

Edited by Mountain Mopar

there are a ton of seats that can be fitted into this car if originality is not a prime concern or issue with you....a quick trip to most any wrecking yard armed with a notepad, pen and tape measure will be you best bet unless  you have to follow in the exact footprint of another builder given they cough up their research and step by step on install...just be very careful on any donor for front seats primarily that they are properly mounted with the floor pan sandwiched between the seat and the backer that is on the opposite side of the pan (beneath the car)  your pan and its attachment to the inner rockers must be solid and should not be just a pop riveted or sheet metal screw install of repair panels.  

3 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

there are a ton of seats that can be fitted into this car if originality is not a prime concern or issue with you....a quick trip to most any wrecking yard armed with a notepad, pen and tape measure will be you best bet unless  you have to follow in the exact footprint of another builder given they cough up their research and step by step on install...just be very careful on any donor for front seats primarily that they are properly mounted with the floor pan sandwiched between the seat and the backer that is on the opposite side of the pan (beneath the car)  your pan and its attachment to the inner rockers must be solid and should not be just a pop riveted or sheet metal screw install of repair panels.  

Thanks for the info!  I will certainly make sure any seats are correctly mounted. 

I'm not concerned about keeping everything exactly original but I do want a car with a vintage feel, and maybe a little bit of vintage hot rod flair to it.  II would prefer the original seat or at lest close to it, I like the look of them.  I would not be opposed to modifying a more modern seat if I had to. 

There was a company years ago that was making a seat mounting brackets/risers to install early 80's Riviera, Toronado or Eldorado front seats. Can't remember the name of the company or if they are still in business.