Mark H

A few months ago, a got a '50 Desoto Custom, and I've been a lurker here since, looking up info and finding answers to common questions. I've got one I haven't found an answer for. My head has a "feature" I've not seen before, a hole In the #6 combustion chamber which goes into the water jacket. It lines up with a pipe plug, which I've removed. You can see daylight through the hole. Seems to me, water would pour into the cylinder. Is there supposed to be something there?

IMG_20190719_172734.jpg

that hole is for finding TDC as when removed it allow you access to the piston top.....you used this also to verify stroke in a question if or if not the engine ever got stroked or de-stroked over the years due to parts available at the time the PO did some engine work...….of  note, it does not  plug or enter into any water jacket....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

As Plymouthy says this hole is used to check the stroke and confirm TDC......you insert a piece of stiff wire about 12" long and slowly hand rotate engine and measure the distance the wire rises and falls.........BTW......Welcome Aboard from Oz.............andyd