Moonbeam

MackTheFinger

I was a VW freak for a long time and while I haven't really been involved don't know that I'm over it yet. Same with Harleys although that involvement is nearly impossible to escape. Part of it's the machine, part of it's social even though those are two glaringly disparate groups. Somehow they both have farhrvergnugen and I was fortunate enough to have been involved in both. Here's a good story if you have time to read it. 

http://www.inertia.org/ACVWJYRO/acvwjy/drawbar.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Elder said:

My old high school ride. I don't have any photos so this an example.

001.jpg

They called me the great pumpkin....lol.

Transporters are the real VW experience! Enjoyable to drive, easy to work on, incredibly versatile vehicles.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:28 AM, MackTheFinger said:

I was a VW freak for a long time and while I haven't really been involved don't know that I'm over it yet. Same with Harleys although that involvement is nearly impossible to escape. Part of it's the machine, part of it's social even though those are two glaringly disparate groups. Somehow they both have farhrvergnugen and I was fortunate enough to have been involved in both. Here's a good story if you have time to read it. 

http://www.inertia.org/ACVWJYRO/acvwjy/drawbar.htm

In addition to my '47 Plymouth, I'm also am into VWs.  I've got a '61 Camper, a '66 Fastback, a 71 Bus and a 76 Beetle.

For those that have some time to browse, the VW community has a site similar to this one.  Google The Samba.  There are some really cool cars there and some even more interesting stories.  Old car guys are the all similar no matter what kind of car they're into. 

Edited by hi_volt

My then girlfriend's friend had a bus that we took everywhere and usually carried  several extra people as well.  Pretty reliable but when it broke guess who had to fix it? My only personal experience with VW's was a 1961 bug that I only kept for a couple of months. Worn out and one of the annoying things was that when it was cold(under 30 F or so) the brake pedal would not return when pressed and you had to reach down and manually pull it up. Once I went off the road in the snow and had to stop and release it Of course I then just drove out of the snow  bank and went on my way.  

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

6 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

My then girlfriend's friend had a bus that we took everywhere and usually carried  several extra people as well.  Pretty reliable but when it broke guess who had to fix it? My only personal experience with VW's was a 1961 bug that I only kept for a couple of months. Worn out and one of the annoying things was that when it was cold(under 30 F or so) the brake pedal would not return when pressed and you had to reach down and manually pull it up. Once I went off the road in the snow and had to stop and release it Of course I then just drove out of the snow  bank and went on my way.  

I don't think there were ever more than 12-14 people in my transporter at any one time. When my kid was driving it in high school he had a seating chart for each day. Girls always rode shotgun, their boyfriends got to ride in the back.. 

• Like 1

I don't think recovery from classic VW addiction is possible.  I'm pretty good at pencil drawing, which I started by drawing VW Beetles when I was a kid, while the other kids were drawing Ed Roth style hot rods and such.  My Uncle in Illinois got us started with the "slug-bug" game when we were little so we were always on the lookout for them to wreak havoc on the other occupants of whatever car we were in.  Another uncle in Maryland had a Transporter for many years and it was always his "job" to kart all the cousins around when everyone was visiting the grandparents.  I built VW models, again, when everyone else was building hot rods.  When I was in high school in south Texas, my grandma's second husband had an oval window Beetle that ran like a sewing machine.  A girlfriend in high school in west Texas (I went to 3 different high schools) had a '78 Beetle.  When I was in the Army in Germany, a few of us GIs pooled some dough to get a hand-me-down Beetle to bomb around in, that we handed down as well.  And now my summer daily driver is a '70 Beetle.  So the VW bug (sorry) has always been there with the other old car affliction.    

11 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I don't think recovery from classic VW addiction is possible.  I'm pretty good at pencil drawing, which I started by drawing VW Beetles when I was a kid, while the other kids were drawing Ed Roth style hot rods and such.  My Uncle in Illinois got us started with the "slug-bug" game when we were little so we were always on the lookout for them to wreak havoc on the other occupants of whatever car we were in.  Another uncle in Maryland had a Transporter for many years and it was always his "job" to kart all the cousins around when everyone was visiting the grandparents.  I built VW models, again, when everyone else was building hot rods.  When I was in high school in south Texas, my grandma's second husband had an oval window Beetle that ran like a sewing machine.  A girlfriend in high school in west Texas (I went to 3 different high schools) had a '78 Beetle.  When I was in the Army in Germany, a few of us GIs pooled some dough to get a hand-me-down Beetle to bomb around in, that we handed down as well.  And now my summer daily driver is a '70 Beetle.  So the VW bug (sorry) has always been there with the other old car affliction.    

Aircooled VW's are similar to the way Joan Baez described Bob Dylan's music. Not everybody gets it but for those who do it cuts to the bone.

I drove through Chester and down Il. Rte. 3 yesterday afternoon and thought about you when I came to the Jones Ridge turnoff. The floodgate at Cora is FINALLY open but Rte. 3 is still closed further south due to flooding. The Chinch Bug looks like it may be closed for good. 

I'm told Rte. 3 was never closed due to flooding until AFTER the new flood controls were put in.  It certainly was never closed back when we were there, although the area was regularly flooded as it was.  Farmers didn't seem to mind, since the silt was good for the soil, unless it stayed too wet for too long.