1947 Chrysler - Radio delete without deleting?

ebruns1

Fellas,

Moving on to next step now that the steering wheel is off and attacking the dashboard!  I will not be using the original radio but plan on installing some type of hidden Bluetooth device to link to my phone or an iPod-style device.  I don't want to use a radio delete plate as I much prefer the look of the dash with the original radio and clock.  My radio faceplate is in excellent condition.  Also, I want to clean up the underside of the dash and make some room in case I want to install A/C and for better access to future wiring etc.  I just pulled the radio and have it on my bench.  I unscrewed the side panel and the head unit screws.  The head panel is now loose and seems to be held in place with some wiring that is soldered together.  I want to separate the head unit so I can re-install it with all the buttons and the dial but not have the back "guts" attached.  I'm sure many of you have done this before.  So here's the question:

1.  Will clipping the wires allow me to separate the head control unit from the back?

2.  Did you make a custom bracket once you got them apart to re-install it?  Any photos?  I will have the dash out for re-painting so it will be easy to get to the back of the dash.

Thanks!

20190718_175220_resized.jpg

20190718_175237_resized.jpg

I can't help re what wires to cut or how to detach the face plate but did the radio work before you started on the car?.........either way I'd try to keep as much of the original radio guts safe just in case you want to ever get it rebuilt........tho' all mopar radios from at least 1940 to 1948 were of the vertical style so there are plenty to choose from............andyd   

Thanks Guys!  Since I'm pulling the dash it had to come out anyway. 

Frank, great idea with the light bulb I will do that!  I thought I would leave the "guts" out because I will be installing or making a 12v wiper conversion and from what I've read here on the forum I may need the room back there.  Since it's not working anyway why not just leave the faceplate and buttons on there for show and open up plenty of space for another radio and the new wiper motor?

• Thanks 1

Success!  Got the faceplate (head unit) detached.  Had to cut way more wiring than I thought!  Probably 15 wires or so, but I guess that makes sense since the head unit controls all the functions.  Now all I have to do is figure out same type of strap or mounting bracket for the top of the radio and I will have all kinds of room for my 12v wiper motor conversion and modern Bluetooth type radio controller.  Hope this helps out the next guy looking to do this.  If anyone needs parts from the back end send me a PM.  Not sure if anything is good in there.  Otherwise I'll hold onto it until Everything goes back in and then I will scrap it. 

20190721_104549_resized.jpg

20190721_104611_resized.jpg