A friend of mine moves vehicles as a bit of a side hustle when he has time, and as a result, we are often seeing rare vehicles and making new connections.  He is helping somebody move up here in the Northwest and I had a chance to see this very rare '36 Plymouth Pickup. The pickup is in great shape, and had been on the road sometime in the past.  It has a 230 engine in it with some rare accessories. I had never heard of Phillips Performance, but am always looking for off the wall stuff to set my cars a little more apart. Supposedly he has the molds for casting the parts, which I intend to try and verify as it would be very cool if I could get one or two of the items made for mine.  I currently have a Shanafelt intake that I'm hoping to put on my engine that I intend to be getting built up in the spring. Again this is not my truck, but is definitely a neat rare pickup.

intake manifold.jpg

covers.jpg

engine.jpg

exhaust manifold.jpg

36 plymoouth truck.jpg

• Like 2

Having had 6 phone conversations with Mr. Phillips back in the early to mid 2000's.  We shared stories about our completed and pending knee replacements surgeries.  At that time he was facing an expulsion of his 30 foot Fan Tail Yate from the harbor (Washington State) and was enveloped with personal matters when he requested that a conversation in the Spring Time would be better than now.  Purchased the exhaust manifolds, valve galley covers and intake water fed intake heat riser kit.  Then came the Spring Time, time to purchase the Cyl head and tri-power he had disappeared from public life, best efforts were expended to reestablish contact with Mr. Phillips fell upon weeks of despair.  Your post was the first time the name "Phillipe Performance" has been on this screen in years.  Tom Bryant (Ply-Do) and I both knew Mr. Phillips.  When Mr. Bryant passed, hoped that his estate may of had the molds, but, in speaking with his widow the estate had been transferred without much fan fair or public notice. Now according to your reporting some one else has the molds Know? The exhaust manifolds have been on e-bad in the recent past for an asking price of around six hundred dollars US.  A conversation with you and the mold owner would be very interesting? Charlie Stephenson

I talked to him probably 10 years ago and he was thinking about a production run. Problem he had was finding a foundry to do the work that didn't cost an arm, leg and some other body parts for a low volume run.  Don't think it ever happened. 

I believe he did get at least one run produced. I tried to buy a setup when I first built my 46 pick up but I didn't have the cash back then. 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:50 AM, Charlie Stephenson said:

Having had 6 phone conversations with Mr. Phillips back in the early to mid 2000's.  We shared stories about our completed and pending knee replacements surgeries.  At that time he was facing an expulsion of his 30 foot Fan Tail Yate from the harbor (Washington State) and was enveloped with personal matters when he requested that a conversation in the Spring Time would be better than now.  Purchased the exhaust manifolds, valve galley covers and intake water fed intake heat riser kit.  Then came the Spring Time, time to purchase the Cyl head and tri-power he had disappeared from public life, best efforts were expended to reestablish contact with Mr. Phillips fell upon weeks of despair.  Your post was the first time the name "Phillipe Performance" has been on this screen in years.  Tom Bryant (Ply-Do) and I both knew Mr. Phillips.  When Mr. Bryant passed, hoped that his estate may of had the molds, but, in speaking with his widow the estate had been transferred without much fan fair or public notice. Now according to your reporting some one else has the molds Know? The exhaust manifolds have been on e-bad in the recent past for an asking price of around six hundred dollars US.  A conversation with you and the mold owner would be very interesting? Charlie Stephenson

I just got off the phone with my friend as he is taking the vehicles down south.  The owners name is Phillips and he has a few other rigs there that led my friend to believe that it is indeed the one and the same.  He told my friend that he is no longer doing the exhaust manifolds, and just before my friend left yesterday he brought in the last manifold that was made.  I am now the owner, talk about fortunate.... My friend traded it for a tow.  I will be going down in the next month or so to run the last trailer down, and will probably be giving my friend some money for the manifold set as I don't like owing (or feeling like I owe) my friends. I will have to do a little more work on the manifolds as they were an unfinished cast.  If I get a chance to talk to Mr Phillips I will, but I get the feeling he is in the retired mode.  The first rig my friend moved was a really nice (to me) Dodge Carryall project, that has newer axles and some serious tires along with a hefty motor and extensive brake work.  Oh to be able to have the ability to build all of my dream rigs.... Having served, I have a soft spot for Duece and a Halfs and old Power Wagons.

Thank You for the come-back mlozier76.  I would appreciate you passing on my best regards to Mr. Phillips if you should speak with him.  Surgery is a trauma handled differently by each Patient, may have had a part in his decision to retire     I know mine has taken years to come back and continuing efforts to recover back to pre op state of mind,  with excellent therapists I have regained new perspective and some say improvement over pre op state of mind.  Just a FYI on surgery-IMHO.  Please Keep in touch with up dates with your Flat 6 encounters.  If you see, hear, or bump into a 1954,55,56 Dodge -  10 Wheel Semi - Fire Truck - Cement Truck - M-37 - Farm Truck with 10 Blot six hand hole 20" Bud wheels (the wheels are a good sign that its a 413.16 Flat Head 6) with a Flat Head 6 30" Long engine  - With the number Code Number (Serial) T325?   stamped  in the Upper Left  Front of the block,  Please contact me.  Its been six years of searching in all the wrong places for me.  Des Moines Iowa in the phone book. Charlie Stephenson.

• 2 years later...
On 7/18/2019 at 8:56 AM, mlozier76 said:

A friend of mine moves vehicles as a bit of a side hustle when he has time, and as a result, we are often seeing rare vehicles and making new connections.  He is helping somebody move up here in the Northwest and I had a chance to see this very rare '36 Plymouth Pickup. The pickup is in great shape, and had been on the road sometime in the past.  It has a 230 engine in it with some rare accessories. I had never heard of Phillips Performance, but am always looking for off the wall stuff to set my cars a little more apart. Supposedly he has the molds for casting the parts, which I intend to try and verify as it would be very cool if I could get one or two of the items made for mine.  I currently have a Shanafelt intake that I'm hoping to put on my engine that I intend to be getting built up in the spring. Again this is not my truck, but is definitely a neat rare pickup.

intake manifold.jpg

covers.jpg

engine.jpg

exhaust manifold.jpg

36 plymoouth truck.jpg

Hey there, I am resurrecting my Dads 48 Plymouth 4dr sedan. I have some of his speed parts from the early 60's that he ran on a 48 Coup in south Seattle. I see that back in 2019 you were talking about  building up a flat 6 in the future I am wanting to do the same. I have a question concerning the use of  an after market cam for the motor. My Dad said that he used a Studebaker cam profile for his motor in the 60's and it worked great for him,  I have no idea now what that would have been. My question is whether or not you are going to run a hotter cam and if so what is it. I want a daily driver so nothing too radical. Thanks in advance

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2021 at 6:52 PM, 48jumpdoors said:

Hey there, I am resurrecting my Dads 48 Plymouth 4dr sedan. I have some of his speed parts from the early 60's that he ran on a 48 Coup in south Seattle. I see that back in 2019 you were talking about  building up a flat 6 in the future I am wanting to do the same. I have a question concerning the use of  an after market cam for the motor. My Dad said that he used a Studebaker cam profile for his motor in the 60's and it worked great for him,  I have no idea now what that would have been. My question is whether or not you are going to run a hotter cam and if so what is it. I want a daily driver so nothing too radical. Thanks in advance

I'm so sorry.  I haven't been checking my posts as often as I thought.   You've probably already gotten it figured out, but if not, here ya go.  I had my cam reground by Earl "Edgy"  Edgerton with a "boy racer" grind, suggested by The Montana Dodge Boys.  Somebody had also suggested Oregon Cam Grinders in another post I had seen.

I'm in the last few days of getting my engine to running condition, hopefully.  I'm currently trying to get the linkage geometry right on the dual Holley 94s atop my intake.  It seems that I have all sorts of linkages to choose from with ends that are too big or worn out for my rebuilt carbs.  Go figure.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:29 PM, mlozier76 said:

I'm so sorry.  I haven't been checking my posts as often as I thought.   You've probably already gotten it figured out, but if not, here ya go.  I had my cam reground by Earl "Edgy"  Edgerton with a "boy racer" grind, suggested by The Montana Dodge Boys.  Somebody had also suggested Oregon Cam Grinders in another post I had seen.

I'm in the last few days of getting my engine to running condition, hopefully.  I'm currently trying to get the linkage geometry right on the dual Holley 94s atop my intake.  It seems that I have all sorts of linkages to choose from with ends that are too big or worn out for my rebuilt carbs.  Go figure.

Hey no worries, Im still working on brakes on the 48, Im going to run the crap out of the stock motor and get some miles in before I pull it and up the compression and do a cam swap. I have a set of Fentons for it as well. I need to check this forum and see if there is a way to lower the front end and still retain the stock geometry. Thanks for the information.

On 5/22/2023 at 4:42 PM, 48jumpdoors said:

I need to check this forum and see if there is a way to lower the front end and still retain the stock geometry

I cut one coil out of the front springs and put 4" spacers on the rear to get a lower stance.  I may have dropped it much lower than you want yours.  I didn't do anything more to the front, but did change the rear end to a Ford Explorer with spacers to keep the offset.  I think the Explorer rear fits a Plymouth better.

20230527_174220.jpg