Part out or sell as is better?

edrendek7777

There are 3-4 of the same model for sale on Craigslist near me.  In better shape and running asking is $3500.  Not running and about same condition as yours asking $1500.  If family history is important to you I would keep it and wait until you have the time to put towards it.  If you have no inclination mechanically and would rather buy a driver, then by all means get what you can (my guess is $1000) and put that towards a running car you only have to maintain.  My guess is prices on running 4-door sedans are only going to drop as the old timers pass away and their kids have little to no interest in these old cars.  It's a good opportunity to pick one up cheap. 

I'm about a week late to the party but I'll jump in. Sell it as a complete car. Sold and gone. Parting it out would take all your time and many busted knuckles. Parts of it would be around for years. Good project for someone who can do the work themselves. I'd take a look if I were closer but, realistically, from the photos, not running, 4 doors, rusty floor, it's about a $500 car. 

Yeah I will be attempting to sell as is as a complete car, and have it listed here as well as a few other places.  I just find it hard to believe that it is only worth $500...  I sell a lot of golf clubs on Ebay and I have been researching parts prices on there, and it appears that I could sell the seats for $500.  They are mint.  Most of the chrome is in amazing shape, glass, fenders, dash, etc.  While I don't want the car sitting around for years in a million pieces, I really would not part with it for that kind of money.  Obviously being new to this I am naive unlike a lot of you seasoned vets on here, but I would rather bust a few knuckles, sell what I can no matter what kind of time it takes, and possibly use any parts I need when I find and purchase another 50 Plymouth...  Hoping to get into another vehicle shortly, so I will post back...  Thanks again for everybody's help on this.  And for the record I am not disagreeing with anyone's opinions here, just still trying to find out exactly what the best thing to do is.  Holding on to it may not be the worst idea.

Hey if anybody sees any 1950 Plymouths around there area please let me know.  I am near Cleveland Ohio so obviously the closer the better.  While I am seeing several on a few websites, I am not seeing any great deals.  And it seems near impossible to search every Craigslist in every city to find them.  Anyways, let me know...

Thanks.

As someone who has owned a 4dr car for 48 years I can tell you that unfortunately 4dr are NOT worth much..........unless they are pristine or have a particular feature that adds to their value........the values given, ie, $500-1000 are to me reasonably generous.....o/k it may have a nice interior but they are other cars that probably have a better exterior or chrome, or are running better or whatever.......if it was a 2 dr, or some other body style you may get a better price simply because the other body styles are what are wanted.............when I bought my car, yeh it was a LONG time ago, but I beat the price down from $40 to $15.....it cost me $20 to get it towed home as whilst absolutely complete the ignition wires were shot but it was still registered for 6 weeks so it was a good buy.....but A 4dr SEDAN.............over the succeeding 10 years I bought and wrecked for parts another 5 1940 Dodge 4 dr Sedans, one for $100, four for $15 each...............so if your car was a coupe, wagon or convertible then in the same condition you might get 2 or 3 times what you want but, my 2 Oz cents worth.......and I DO hope you get a good price but I'd suggest that as these guys on this forum play with mopars constantly then you may have your work cut out for you here.........nice car tho..........Andy Douglas     

5 hours ago, Andydodge said:

I'd suggest that as these guys on this forum play with mopars constantly then you may have your work cut out for you here.........nice car tho..........Andy Douglas 

Like others, I’ve been following this post. My suggestion: unless you need the space and /or the money, I would garage that car and slowly clean it and get it to driver status, without spending much money. JMHO 

Well, it didn't take too long, took a day off work yesterday to drive down to Celina Ohio (Custom Rods and Muscle) to check out a new ride and...  I have purchased another 50 Plymouth.  It is the 2 door that I prefer.  So I will hold onto my 4 door for parts etc, unless someone blows me away with an offer.  I will give more details later when I have more time, but runs, needs brakes which will be done as soon as I get it shipped up to me.  Needless to say as soon as I get it home and checked out I will no doubt be posting questions about things that I need to do.  Needs a good buff/wax and some interior trim pieces put back on, other than that it is nice.  Not a show car but for a first 50 to follow in my old mans footsteps it is perfect.  Who knows, maybe I will learn enough here to get that other 4 door back on the road.  Thanks again everyone...  Will check back in next week when I get the "new" one.

Ed