Part out or sell as is better?

edrendek7777

Hey all.  Totally new here.  Several months ago I got my dads 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door that has been sitting for 15 to 20 years. Ran strong when it got garaged and sat but just sat too long. I have zero mechanical experience and minimal time to invest into restoring it like I had hoped. It is a beautiful car that has been in the family since 1986.  Had a few buddies look at it with experience and just cant imagine spending the kind of money being discussed needed to get it rolling mechanically and safely.  It is a complete car. All the chrome I have and is nice, interior floor rot but really solid otherwise. My dad doesnt even want me to invest the time and money into fixing this particular one, he is just super pumped that I have interest in owning a 1950 Plymouth. So...  that being said. I would appreciate any opinions from all you experts on this. Part out or sell as is?  Ideas on best place to look for another one for sale?  I dont want a show car I just want a driver. Runs well, safe for me and the wife and kids, have some fun mlm like I remember 30 years ago...  Obviously easier to find a buyer as is. I can post pics, but can only fit 2. Look forward to hearing anything you have to offer. Thanks in advance. 

Screenshot_20190717-212032_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190717-212048_Gallery.jpg

I have to admit to not having a lot of experience in this area as well, but it looks like a fairly complete car to me.  I would try to sell it as is rather than part it out piece by piece.  Hopefully, someone with the right skill set (not to mention, cash) can put it back on the road.  Just my two cents, for what it’s worth.

I think you need to research and see what another car that is more road ready and "finished" will cost. Compare that cost with having the one you already have repaired to a similar level. I don't know the answer but having the info will help you decide if you may want to keep what you have or sell.

As far as parting it out, part it out to yourself first. What I mean by that is if you do buy another car and things like the trim on the one you already have is better, then swap in your better parts to the new car first and then sell the your car with the swapped out parts.

Lastly parting out a car is a lot of work, time and effort, even requires mechanical skill you say you don't have. I'd make a clean break and sell the complete car. You possibly may make less than parting it out but time is money.

That looks like much too nice of a car to part out.  You'll make more money parting it out, but it will take a lot of your time and you'll likely be left with a bunch of leftover pieces.  If it were me, I'd either get it running and keep it or sell it whole.  It would make a great project for someone.

In my opinion, I would neither sell no part out that car. If I wee close to you, I would want that car! My suggestions: change the oil,, if it is black , that is good  pit a tbs of auto matic transmission in each cylinder, 24 hrs later hand rotate the engine, have a friend  do an engine  compression check, motor the engine and check the oil pressure,  

if the above is good, tune the engine, fix the brakes, Polish the exterior, fix the floors and drive it. That will take very little money. 

What do they say...a bird in the hand. I think many guys would jump at that car as a starting out point. You've got a car that's been in the family and that could stay in the family with a little time and money. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Buy the proper books and do the research on this forum and you will find that it will not be an expensive proposition to put this car back on the road. Time is what you make of it. Time working on and old car is time well spent. Especially with fathers or your own kids. Keep it. You'll be happy on the long run that you did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have zero mechanical experience, do you want to gain mechanical experience? If you do, and you have a good attitude, this car is a very good starting point. It is  a simple car from simpler times. 

Saying that, there’s more to consider. Tools, parts, & misc shop costs. Storage space. Do you have the time to invest? Is your wife supporting of this project? 

Working on old cars to me is a ton of fun. It’s rewarding. You get to drive and enjoy them. When folks show interest and appreciate your efforts, its very satisfying. 

Building memories and traditions with your family in an old car is fun too. There’s only so many years that you can all go get ice creme together in it. 

One thing that is quite special to me is this. Sometimes I’ll take my ‘53 4 door sedan to a show outside my area. Far enough away that most folks have never seen it. The people who come admire the car and say “thank-you for bringing your car. Allowing us to see and enjoy it.”...What a nice thing to say. It feels great to hear that. 

Its not about going to car shows. You don’t have to own a show car. Its about getting it out and enjoying the car. Allowing others to see it too. They smile and remember simpler times. 

You too can experience this if you are so inclined. If it sounds like a lot of work. Also a long journey until you can enjoy it, then sell it. Complete. Don’t part it out. That’s my opinion, and experience. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

First let me say thanks to all the opinions expresses so quickly.  I am grateful to everyone who posted.  While I would love to have the time to spend to research and ultimately fix this car, I simply do not have it...  Outside of the typical 9 to 5, I spend basically all my spare time helping to take care of my parents, both of whom have had strokes, and coaching my daughters volleyball both CYO and JO...  So like I said, I wish I had the time, but simply do not.  While I have not made my mind up completely as to what I am going to do here, I would also appreciate feedback on how to research and obtain information on purchasing a different vehicle, the value of this car, and the best means of looking into that.  Obviously I can google these things, but I figured that you all have your favorite spots that you like to go to look at cars for sale...  Thanks again for all the info so far...

Ed

Hello Ed, & welcome to the forum.  I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, but I think that if you feel that you do not have the mechanical know-how now, and also don't have the time or interest to learn all of that, you may find that even if you later find a complete working vehicle, you will either be frustrated or have to learn a lot of the same things anyways.  You will find that driving an older vehicle any amount or distance will result in situations where at least basic maintenance abilities will be demanded of you.  I don't think many wives enjoy being stranded along the side of the road.

I don't want to discourage you, but just to encourage you to look at this interest you have honestly, and then hopefully you will develop an interest in all that is involved in owning a car with character.  

• Like 1

BASED SOLELY on the question, sell or part......parting a car takes up much time to find buyers, you have to pull said parts and often get shipping quotes that cost too much for some to then buy the part.  Large items require freight and for sure that is definitely costly.  You are quickly left with a car with pieces removed, maybe no longer able to move about your property, no longer a value to sell as a project/parts car.  If you have no real desire to build this car, sell it off as a complete project or better than average parts car to an enthusiastic buyer.  If you decide to keep it and work the car....tackle the vehicle in such a manner that segments of vehicle is done a bit at a time and never disassembled to a point that you cannot physically move the car about.  If you take it apart, you need dedicated lay down area for the components and inventory control system to track where you put said parts.  

What Plymouthy said.
You would spend way more time than it is worth pulling parts and packaging to ship. If you let folks come to pull parts, they will make a mess of it. Easiest and quickest would be to sell it off whole. Don't expect to make a bunch of money off it. Where is the car? Are you in Ohio?

• Thanks 1

Yeah Mentor Ohio. If I do sell it appears that the only way to do it is as is...  whole car. I just have no idea on value and market for this. I see a ton of "project" non running vehicles for a lot of money. Obviously i dont expect to get a ton for it. But anything I get would just get reinvested into another driver. If I can find one. 

As far as where to look for ideas on price. Antique Automobile Club of America is a decent place you'll find a varied range of pricing there. Craigslist is another place to get some ideas. Have you checked out the ad section here on this forum? The H.A.M.B. is another place, although it's geared more towards traditional style hot rods, they do have a pretty good ad section. That's just some off the top of my head.

Like Plymouthy Adams said above, selling it as a whole project car will be much easier for you because if you don't have the experience or time to work on it right now you definitely won't have time and skills to part it out.

One other thing I would like to say is, bless you for taking care of your parents. It is a thankless job that most people can't or won't take the time to do.

Edited by Silverdome
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot, for me family is everything.  My parents did everything they could for me growing up, like tooling around in a sweet ride....  now I have to do what I can for them.  Same thing with my kids.  My daughter loves me being her coach, and both kids are learning that you need to take care of your family and appreciate them while you can.  Life happens, but I am trying my best to instill the same values in my kids that my parents took the time to teach me.  I will research values and places to list it if I go that route.  I will also take a ton of pictures of everything I can to ensure that whoever ends up being interested has as much info as possible. 

Craigslist is a good place to run an ad and at $5 about as cheap as you can get. 

Warning: you will not get alot of money for the car.

Given your circumstances, I certainly appreciate your selling and moving on.

So I decided to list it just to see what type of interest there would be. Guess I will see. It is on craigslist and on here. Thanks for all the help. When something happens with it and I get a new car I will be sure to be here looking for more advice. Thanks. 

Ed

I just looked up the the ballpark value of a 1950 Plymouth 4 door sedan in the NADA car value guide that is online.  They don't give values for non-running cars, but the low retail value is listed at about 4 K.  But not running, it is going to be worth much less than that.  You said that it has been sitting for about 20 years.  Do you know if the gas tank was drained and the carburetor run until it was out of gas?  If fuel was left in the lines and carburetor, the fuel will have rotted and turned to jelly.  That might be the reason your car won't start.  Also the clutch plate might be stuck to the flywheel.  If you could have a garage fix those problems so it would run, the worth of the car would go way up compared to a non running car.  But the cost of having a shop do that might be too much to gamble, and 4 door sedans are usually not popular sellers with collectors.  So it might be safer to sell it as a project car if you mainly want to get rid of it, even though the sales price might not be much.  I would guess much less than 1 K.  You'll have to see how the market responds to your ads.  

4 hours ago, _shel_ny said:

Only about 7 hours away from me. Have a truck to tow it. Temptations, temptations.  Car, or wife?  Car, or wife?

a car is easily bought, modified and built to suit your needs and pleasure, not so with women...while the aspect of a new bride may be enticing to some....the cost of disposal of the reigning wife is not cost effective.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1