brake line shields

JSabah

Im replacing all hard lines (Brake and fuel) with Copper Nickel lines and noticed that the old lines have what look like long springs over parts of them.  I believe that they are shields of some sort (either heat or vibration/wear.  Do others reuse them? are they available new? Are they necessary?

Based on where they were on my '33, I think they are for mechanical protection (places where road debris might strike them or where other parts, if out of adjustment might rub against them).

I recall seeing a place you can buy those spring like things but can't find the link at the moment.

I got these from Classic Tube. I ordered 2 sizes - 3/16" for brake lines and 5/16" for fuel lines. 5 feet of it was $4.80. Here is their web site. www.classictube.com.

They are in Lancaster, NY. Phone 800-882-3711. Hope this helps.

Edited by 61spit
misspelled classic in web site

My car sees max, about 2,000 miles per year. I opted to leave the springs off. The old ones were stiff and jam packed with 65 years of road dust & dirt. No much chance of re-using them. 

I’m under my car a lot doing inspections. I figure based on use, putt-ing around town at 30 mph on paved roads, they’ll last long time.