Concrete reinforcements

Todd B

I have always had my concrete crews put in 1/2” re-rod 24” on center. Blocked up so it doesn’t lay on the ground.  Just had a garage poured and they used a 3/8” fiberglass rod. Anyone have any experience with this in ground where frost moves things. 

here in the south they like stranded fiberglass in the mix...personally I do not care for it.   as for fiberglass re-bar....I would think that would be good as the rust is not there and concrete will absorb from the ground.....moisture barrier is a plus for shop floor and to me the first 20 feet of a driveway as you never know when you may have to roll one out to do a job or not be able to roll it in....we have all seen the classic example of rebar busting out concrete with rust expansion...powerful stuff....and any small crack now allows more moisture accelerating cracks by freezing....

Not saying I agree, but just for discussion.

We would normally add rebar to the forms to tie everything together.

What if the rebar was made of fiberglass?

It is still tying the concrete together, is it possible it will last longer then steel rebar?

I have no honest opinion, rebar has worked well for over 100 years ... is it possible fiberglass rebar is better?