Brake pedal draft seal

JSabah

OK this may seem like a dumb question and maybe Im just having a brain fart but how (in what orientation ) does the draft seal go on and what keeps it in place?  From under the car, flat portion against sheet metal with bubble down? From inside the car flat portion against the sheet metal with bubble up?  My old one seems to have been from under the car with the bubble facing down, but there have been so many things not as they were supposed to be ...

Thanks (a picture is probably worth 1000 words)

I just installed new ones on my brake and clutch pedals on my 48 Plymouth coupe. The bubble goes down (towards the engine compartment) so that the flat part seals against the firewall. Installing them ain't easy - I found that putting them out in the sun to heat them up, then a liberal coating of ArmorAll does the trick. Unbolt and remove your clutch and brake pedals, slide the seals down on the shafts, and work the seals through the holes in the firewall. Taint easy, but with persistence, and strong thumbs, they will go thru. Then slide them up the pedal shafts till the flat part seals tight against the firewall. Done.

I’m so confused... are you doing this from inside the car. Ok bubble down. Flat part is on the engine side or cabin side when done? Any way you can snap a pic?  I’m working from under the car and the pedal is off the master cylinder....

I think I found some clarity on a discussion in the truck section. Is it correct that the seal only works when the pedal is up and not being depressed ..... and the seal floats with the pedal shaft so that when the pedal is depressed it goes down and there is no seal for that period of time 

... is that correct?

Yep....I had them installed above the toe board facing up and they never worked right. I saw a diagram in the assembly manual with them facing down below the toe board. They only seal when the pedals are up....crazy!

Now I'm also confused.  I thought the brake, and clutch pedal shafts slid through the rubber pad and that the rubber pad stays put with the square part above the floor board and the bubble part below the firewall.  But I could be wrong because right now my car is apart.  

I think that the flat part is under the toe board (and bubble faces down). If the flat portion were to be above the floor it would never seal as there are small wedges that would not allow it to seal .... ever. At least the other way, the holes will be sealed when not on the brake or changing gears ?

Draft seal photo from the engine compartment - and yes, I need to adjust the clutch freeplay travel - the draft seal is too high on the clutch shaft...will get to that soon. Brake pedal seal position is where it should be......see the rust/orange colored square low on the brake pedal shaft? That is the original seal that I have yet to cut off that has slid down the shaft. Will attend to that also when I adjust the clutch freeplay.

DSC01898.jpg