1947 Chrysler steering column removal

ebruns1

Tried searching but came up empty.  If I losen up the bolt at the bottom of the column where it goes into the steering box, would it allow me to pull the column off and up through the firewall?  Of course I know I would have to unbolt the shift linkage as well but I'm open to tips on that too!  Apologies if there is a thread out there, none of my key words worked like "remove column" or "remove steering"  Mostly stuff about steering wheel removal.

Thanks!

steer1.jpg

steer2.jpg

Do exactly as you said as long as the floor plan does not interfere...

• Like 1

The "column" consists of the central shaft and the external jacket.  The shaft is permanently connected to the steering gear box.  

You can remove the steering wheel and the external jacket, and then you are left with the shaft.  You then drop the gearbox and shaft as a unit.

1322011928_steeringjacketremoved(7)clearofroof.JPG.b50e31e68e3101df39c941b33b88a0c2.JPG

889878870_steeringjacketremoved(5)pointseveneightsshaftod.JPG.fccca823b96637e64d6b17d24e015f19.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, looks like a lot of work!  Would it be easier if I left the shaft and outer jacket in one piece and unbolted the entire steering box from below?  My objective is only to remove the sheet metal from the frame and I assumed I would have to pull the steering column out.  Is there any other way or am I not thinking correctly?  (Hmmmm, maybe I should rephrase that...I know I'm not in my right mind trying to tackle this project haha!)

Jim

I suppose that when the cars were assembled, the shaft and column cover were attached to the steering box and the frame, with the shifting shaft attached at the bottom to the transmission linkage.  The body would be dropped onto the frame with the steering shaft going through the hole in the cowl at the sloping part of the floor.  Then the steering wheel and shift lever would be installed.  

So, if you are removing the body, you can do the reverse.  Or just pull the entire column, and steering box, less steering wheel and shift lever, out the bottom (if the vehicle is high enough off the floor).  

Just my WAG.  

New thought:  In assembly, with the floor panel removed, would the body be dropped over the entire steering assembly, with wheel, and the floor panel put in later?  Which is easier - install the steering wheel and shift lever later, or install the floor panel and carpeting or mat later?   Pennies per unit were at stake. 

No, pedals in the way.

Anybody know what happened during the body drop?  

Edited by DonaldSmith
New thought.

Don,

At an assembly plant with unlimited height to lift the body on a gantry conveyor assembly line I guess they might have used one of the methods you mention.  Of course, in my garage and with an engine hoist it is going to be difficult enough to lift it high enough over the engine never mind an installed steering column!  It seems my best option is to disconnect the pittman arm (easy) disassemble the shift linkage (moderate) and then unbolt the steering box from the frame (PIA)!  I guess now I need to start searching how to remove the Chrysler steering wheel and hope I can borrow a puller from one of my buddies...

Jim T

Whatever you do, take lots of pictures as you disassemble things. I mean LOTS and from as many angles as you can. Never think, "I'll remember how that goes together." I learned that lesson the hard way many years ago. Now I document everything with pictures and still write notes to myself at the same time. The longer something is left the less you can rely on memory.

• Like 1