Installing a Spin-on Bypass Oil Filter (photos)

Sam Buchanan

1 hour ago, Tooljunkie said:

Just a regular filter,i highly doubt the relief valve in the filter would ever open, simply not enough flow. 
equivalent to wix 51348. Not much smaller than the 5.7 hemis use. I will open it when i put a new one on. 

A bypass filter has a much finer element than a full-flow filter which is possible due to the much lower flow rate. Here is the data for the WIX 51051:

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=155265

I'm assuming this finer element is necessary to achieve similar filtration to what a full-flow system can provide since it takes a lot longer for all the oil to pass through the bypass filter. 

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Great write up for some of us novices to the Mopar brand. I have a 1940 Dodge Coupe RHD which i am now in the process of getting various serviceable parts for. brake cylinders, hoses, water pump etc etc  here in the UK. Once I have all of this "prep" work done I will be needing to change the oil for future use. Is there anything else I need to consider with this conversion as I appreciate the keeping it original but getting parts to UK is extremely expensive with the tax and import duty so this conversion may well save me time and money in the longer term. I happened to get a new old style canister type filter with the car but that wont last too long. I can seem to get the parts you have used here in the UK via on line sources.

20200531_162518 rev.jpg

received_2921751851231011 (3)_1565906602164.jpeg

On 1/22/2021 at 6:52 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

A bypass filter has a much finer element than a full-flow filter which is possible due to the much lower flow rate. Here is the data for the WIX 51051:

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=155265

I'm assuming this finer element is necessary to achieve similar filtration to what a full-flow system can provide since it takes a lot longer for all the oil to pass through the bypass filter. 

I looked at the technical data, 51051 flow rate is 1gpm and 51348 is 9gpm. I didnt look at relief valve pressures but that fine filter may bypass a considerable amount if engine has a high level of contamination as is common in these old engines. Fillter saturates with dirt and bypass valve opens. Im not knocking the finer filter, with a clean engine and regular service it would be ideal. 

but by just swapping a housing and filter and not dropping oil pan,the cheaper coarse filter 

(10 micron vs 21) may be a better option.  
that filter base gives you many options from a small filter to one that is more suited to a heavy duty truck with a 2qt capacity.