Master Tech filmstrips great resources!

MarcDeSoto

I have collected M.T.S.C filmstrips since the 80s.  I even have the original projectors that have a record player on the back.  I don't use the filmstrip projector very much anymore because many of the filmstrips are on Youtube.  The Imperial Club used to have a lot of the filmstrips, but when I went to their website the other day, the filmstrips were gone, but the booklets were still there.  Copyright problem?  When looking for these filmstrips, I found that they are not easy to find on youtube.  They seem to be all over the place.    MyMopar.comseems to be the best place to look for them.  I bought my collection way back about 1985 from a guy who was selling out a closed Chrysler dealership.  I got many Miller tools, the filmstrip kits, projectors, even some 1946 DeSoto sales room banners!  I even got a Master Tech trophy with a gold Master Tech standing on top of a gold piston.  It was given to winning service managers.  unfortunately , I sold it on Ebay about 20 years ago.  Here's a video of a guy playing the the filmstrip the old fashioned way.  The sound is poor on the first one showing the stuff, and a better one on MyMopar.com.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFNyM18973E&t=625s

• Like 1

I too have over 200 of these filmstrips and the projector. I bought all mine back in the early to mid 70's.

I have a wood Mr Tech and a couple gold ones too. They are neat items to have.

• Like 1

Well, you beat me as I probably only have about 50 filmstrip kits.  A lot of the guys who make digital videos of these filmstrips play the records on their stereos, which are not designed to play these early RCA LPs.  So the sound is very scratchy.  I found out that I got the best sound by playing them on my Califone school record player with the 78 stylus, even though they

are 33 1/3 records.  I worked one year as a high school auto mechanics teacher in the 80s, and the other shop teacher there had a bunch of old 40s and 50s car shop manuals that he said I could have.  I took them and made a few hundred dollars selling them at old car swap meets.  I asked him is he had any MTSC filmstrip kits and he said he had a whole set of them, but put them in the dumpster the previous year!  

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I too have over 200 of these filmstrips and the projector. I bought all mine back in the early to mid 70's.

I have a wood Mr Tech and a couple gold ones too. They are neat items to have.

Now where can I find a  wood Mr Tech? ?

I'd like to see the wood Tech too.  I wonder is that better than the gold plated Tech?  It's something that pickers Mike and Frank might be interested in.  What's your I don't want to sell it price?  Would you take $5000 for it?  LOL!  Rob, do you ever still watch any of these on your old AV equipment?  On the link, I saw that the poster rebuilt the projector electronics as well as the record player.  On mine, the projector still works, but I never bothered to rebuild the record player as I have a Califone school record player with 16, 33, 45, and 78 speeds.  I guess the record player on the DuKane would need a new idler wheel and a new cartridge.  

Mr tech and his training films...

Filmstrips MTSC (3).JPG

Mr tech (2).JPG

Mr Tech MTSC Gold and Wood....JPG

Mr Tech MTSC Gold and Wood....JPG

Mr Tech's Family (1).JPG

Filmstrips MTSC (3).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Chrysler41,  Downloading the filmstrips is a good idea.  You never know when the Youtube copyright police will shut the filmstrip videos down.  I noticed at least one that was cut off on  MyMopar.com which is a youtube site for "violating Youtube's rules".  Here is the best place to go to view the filmstrips online.  

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=117

I have the gas mileage tool they use in this filmstrip, if anyone wants to buy it.  

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=392

Rob,  Do you have the records for all those filmstrips too?  I guess everyone of a certain age remembers viewing filmstrips in school about things like the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth rock!  I have a lot of the original filmstrip kit boxes that came with several MTSC booklets, a large poster showing the subject of that month's filmstrip, the record or records, and the filmstrip.  Thanks for those Master Tech pics.  My gold Master Tech came on a small gold plated piston.  Is that wood Tech homemade or authentic?  

I have most all the records, booklets,  and charts  too.

Some more of Mr Tech...

Mr Tech's Family (1).JPG see above pics

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

There were at least a couple different player machines used through the years...I had three of them also with problems..threw two away just recently.

I have watched most all of them on a new (back in 1976) Bell and Howell  Combo unit. Sound was good.

I have some of the original box kits but having so many (200 or more) took up a huge amount of space so I had to consolidate.

The wood Mr Tech is my teacher...I cannot sell him!

I wasn't able to see that pic you just sent.  Did the Bell and Howell unit have a record player on it?  I have a full automatic, large movie screen in my living room, so I can view the filmstrips on a white screen.  The quality is much better than what you get on Youtube.  I wonder if the filmstrips disappeared on the Imperial site due to copyright violation?  Also, I just got notice to my Want ad on the AACA classifieds that a guy has the correct U-joint kit for my driveshaft, so I guess I'm finally set.  

Here is a pic of the Master Tech trophy I had, but sold 20 years ago on eBay.  I found out that the Imperial site does still have the filmstrips, but some of them are not there anymore.  I sent them my 1948 Special Kit A and 1A some years ago so they could make a video of Tech talking about the M-5 semi-automatic transmission.  Later in 1949 they had two more kits explaining the M-6 transmissions.  Luckily these videos are still available on MyMopar.com.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=631

1953-Techy-5yr.jpg

Edited by MarcDeSoto

2 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I wasn't able to see that pic you just sent.  Did the Bell and Howell unit have a record player on it?  I have a full automatic, large movie screen in my living room, so I can view the filmstrips on a white screen.  The quality is much better than what you get on Youtube.  I wonder if the filmstrips disappeared on the Imperial site due to copyright violation?  Also, I just got notice to my Want ad on the AACA classifieds that a guy has the correct U-joint kit for my driveshaft, so I guess I'm finally set.  

I bought the  bell and Howell projector...a remote control machine and a very large Speaker/ Record Player  like was used at the schools using the large white screen.

I use to show them at the local Chrysler Club monthly meetings in the late 70's .I also have quite a few 1949 and up new car sales films too.

I have some of the sales films such as the 1949 DeSoto, but no records.  that Bell and Howell sounds like a good machine. I bought a bunch of filmstrips in a box at the San Diego Ford V-8 swap meet.  I got all my complete kits from the guy who was liquidating a Chrysler dealership in WI in the 80s.  I have most of the complete kits from Vol. I no. 1 (1947) to about 1953.  There was a mint MoPar sign still in the wrappers about 4 feet tall metal advertising MoPar batteries.  I know the sign was pre-1956 because it was a six volt battery.  I paid about $30 for it from that guy and sold it on eBay a few years ago for about $1300!  I can see why the pickers are after good advertising signs!  I can see that you also have that statue of Tech on the gold piston except you weren't dumb enough to sell it.  I was looking in one of my MTSC boxes from 1953, and attached to the record sleeve is an RCA envelope of needles.  It says to be sure to replace the needle after playing each record.  So one needle is only good for one record.  I haven't opened the envelope, but they must be steel needles like those used on old antique Victrolas!  Didn't know they still used them in 1953!  

While I don't have any of the Master Tech series of records and film strips, I have this "Projectosell" player from around 1940. It came with 4 records and 4 films more geared toward sales.The player was made by Webster in Chicago, the films I have are titled,"1938 American Beauty Dodge","The 1939 DeSoto and The 1939 Pontiac Deluxe",( I gather this would be a comparison extolling the advantage of choosing to buy a DeSoto), "DeSoto Scores Again" also, "Words Can't Describe It - 1941 Dodge Pass. Car Fluid Drive Film" . The films and accompanying records were produced by Ross Roy Inc.

804688077_Projectosell(2).JPG.7b37eee47b2140209e172dad32278ad6.JPG1100970128_Pojectosell(1).JPG.6539ca945d627f9d157b9632aa07cdee.JPG

boy that's a real antique set up you have there.  Those filmstrips are very rare, I don't have anything that old in filmstrips.  Those comparison films were of course made for customers who were on the fence about buying a DeSoto.  If a customer said they were thinking of buying a Pontiac, the salesman would show them comparison the video which was sales propaganda about how up to date and great a DeSoto is, and how badly engineered and designed the Pontiac is.  They also frequently compared DeSoto with Mercury, Oldsmobile, Hudson, etc. and other cars in its price class.  Does that set up still work, either projector and/or record player?

Edited by MarcDeSoto

I have a couple mid to late 30's strips--- no records too and did have a projector similar to that old one. Don't remember what i did with it or if i still have it.

very cool!

Warming up those old projectors and filmstrips ....ahhhhh the smell of a 1948 dealership classroom conducting training!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Here is a pic of the Master Tech trophy I had, but sold 20 years ago on eBay.  I found out that the Imperial site does still have the filmstrips, but some of them are not there anymore.  I sent them my 1948 Special Kit A and 1A some years ago so they could make a video of Tech talking about the M-5 semi-automatic transmission.  Later in 1949 they had two more kits explaining the M-6 transmissions.  Luckily these videos are still available on MyMopar.com.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=631

Thanks for sharing and giving us the possibility  ?

2 hours ago, T120 said:

While I don't have any of the Master Tech series of records and film strips, I have this "Projectosell" player from around 1940. It came with 4 records and 4 films more geared toward sales.The player was made by Webster in Chicago, the films I have are titled,"1938 American Beauty Dodge","The 1939 DeSoto and The 1939 Pontiac Deluxe",( I gather this would be a comparison extolling the advantage of choosing to buy a DeSoto), "DeSoto Scores Again" also, "Words Can't Describe It - 1941 Dodge Pass. Car Fluid Drive Film" . The films and accompanying records were produced by Ross Roy Inc.

Wow. Any of these early strips digitized ? 

4 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Wow. Any of these early strips digitized ? 

That's a good question...I haven't seen the four films and four records I have available in digital format.To tell the truth,I hadn't given it any thought nor searched on the internet.It's possible they may have been converted at some time and are available.I don't have the equipment nor the expertise to accomplish the conversion myself. 

You can talk to the Imperial Club like I did, and they convinced me that if I sent my stuff they would quickly convert it and do a quick turn around to send it back.  They kept their word, so I would contact the president of the Imperial Club or someone at  MyMopar.com to see if they would do the work.  No sense in keeping all this rare stuff just for yourself.  

I see that your 1939 records are 33 1/3, not 78 rpm.  RCA pioneered the 33 1/3 speed in the early 30s and old RCA Victor radio/phonographs had two speeds.  But the depression was on and it was not a commercial success, so only special records and 16" radio transcription discs were thus made.   But they are not Microgroove LP records. That was invented by Columbia records in 1948, and is why you should play them with a 78 cart. and stylus.  

• Like 1