heat shrink tubing

47dodgepu211

The first choice for some is to use an industrial type heat gun found in many electronics labs. It gets HOT! You can burn paint off with it. Second choice is to use a hair dryer and put aluminum foil over the nozzle and form it to about a 1 1/2 inch diameter orifice. This method works for mabe 15 seconds until the built-in thermostat shuts the dryer off. I have good luck with my soldering iron. I use a 25 to 35 watt iron and lightly glide the barrel end over the tubing. NEVER touch the tip to the tubing as the tip is about 600 to 750 degrees F. The barrel end is closer to 350 degrees F or less as you get closer to the handle. It's fast and you will get the feel of it so that you don't burn the tubing. Just lightly glide the barrel along the tubing.

What happens if you forget to put the tubing onto the wire after you solder the ends? For larger sizes of shrink tubing you can carefully slit the tubing along it's length, and roll it up over the wire and apply crazy glue--sparingly! It takes dexterity because you don't want to glue the wire insulation to the tubing. Just apply glue along one edge of tubing and overlap the other end and the tubing will adhere to itself instantly. There is also heat shrink tape available but I have not used it.

• 2 weeks later...