DeSoto Pickup!

12 hours ago, tinlizzy said:

Come on tell us where it is so one of us can go get it.  Goes to show that a V8 will fit.

that looks like a factory installed v8

46 minutes ago, Dodgeed said:

Interesting, I didn't know DeSoto made a pickup. ?

I believe they still are making them. Its just not a Chrysler thing anymore. 

I thought the DeSoto badging was only for export trucks. I wasn't aware that they marketed the trucks under the DeSoto name here in North America. He hasn't said where this truck is sitting, but it appears to be left hand drive.

Also, they started putting V8's into the trucks in late '54. And since this one is a '55 or '56 model the V8 most certainly would be a factory install.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

right up there with Studebaker, Hudson, Oldsmobile and Mercury to name a few.

Yah, another one I didn't know about was that Plymouth made a pick up truck. I saw two side by side in a farmer's field, maybe 15 years ago, both were 1939 models I believe. I was soooo tempted to park my car, and approach the farmer to ask about buying one, but the guard dogs made me apprehensive as well as having to face my wife's indignation over yet another, useless, "old car", that just gets in her way. LOL ?

We have some Plymouth truck owners here on the forum. Was '40 or '41 the last year for Plymouth trucks... until the '80's anyway?

Remember the '80 era Plymouth trucks? The Dodge Ramcharger was marketed under the Plymouth banner as a Trail Duster. And there was the Horizon TC3, or Turismo, pickup version. ?  And there may have even been a Plymouth version of the Dodge D50 pickup.

3 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

We have some Plymouth truck owners here on the forum. Was '40 or '41 the last year for Plymouth trucks... until the '80's anyway?

Remember the '80 era Plymouth trucks? The Dodge Ramcharger was marketed under the Plymouth banner as a Trail Duster. And there was the Horizon TC3, or Turismo, pickup version. ?  And there may have even been a Plymouth version of the Dodge D50 pickup.

I've got a 40 although in a million pieces. The plymouth pickups were built 37-41.  I'd like to get a trail duster someday....

9 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

RAMPAGE

23 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I had a 1979 Plymouth Arrow pickup with the 2.6 and a 5 speed  Sport model. Was lured away by a 1982 Mustang when it was described as the last V-8 one to be made.  Another dumb mistake by me

I had the D50 version of hte same!  Red/Black.  At about 50k the chain that drove the balance shaft jumped time.  Replaced the hyd tensioner and reset.  At about 125k the 2.6 dropped one of the little 'swirl' valves in the 3 valve head.    It got a Mustang V6 and C4.   Overall a great little truck anyway.

2 hours ago, Jj1981 said:

My dad had a scamp when I was in high school and to say the least it was not the coolest thing to cruise around in 

yes, but the very fact that your dad did not knuckle and buy you a cool car may well be reason you alive today....say Thank you dad...

• Like 1

Nope no cool car for me my dad did get one over on me though. So my dad says I told u I would buy u you’re first car so we go to a local shop and when we pull up he says there it is. I got so excited. Mid 70s Chevy 4x4 lifted big mud tires every 16 year old country boys dream. I said you have got to be kidding. He said yep. Then pointed to a beat up s10 that I drove and learned to wrench on. So to answer you’re post.  Yes very glad dad didn’t buy me the cool truck 

I believe that several South and Central American countrys either built or were sent Dodge and Plymouth bodied vehicles badged as DeSotos. Also recall that vehicles labled  as "DeSotos" were also assembled in Turkey for left hand drive European market.  Or could be the previous owner saved an emblem off his DeSoto and attached it to his new ride.