How to pick up an inline 6 that has the head installed

I got my 230 inline 6 back from the engine builder yesterday.  It is buttoned up but has no accessories bolted on.

My quandary?  How do you attach the little engine to an engine hoist without using the head bolts?   The head is on and torqued so I don't have that option.   I don't have the intake or headers installed but the studs look fairly flimsy to hold half of the engine weight.  There are other bolt holes on the other side but they, too, do not look very sturdy.

My best guess is a nylon hoist rope in between the bottom pulley and the block and a sling type thing on a bell housing bolt.  And, yes, I did a search but all I found had the head removed prior to lifting.  Additionally, when the engine and transmission are put together the sling toward the back might work.  The option I describe will make for a top heavy situation however.

I plan on installing the engine and transmission as a complete unit before the cab is mounted so odd lifting techniques will be avoided.  Any suggestions will be appreciated

18 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you have the south, then you have all the places in the US that wish they were in the north....:luvplace:

Fixed your post for you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

Fixed your post for you...

and there is one of them now.....lol   

I like the north, my  original home, the often cooler temp in summer.  But you can have the winters, the bad roads and the other high cost of living conditions.  I still visit a bit...but that is as far as it goes. 

38 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

and there is one of them now.....lol   

I like the north, my  original home, the often cooler temp in summer.  But you can have the winters, the bad roads and the other high cost of living conditions.  I still visit a bit...but that is as far as it goes. 

Does the sheriff know you’re coming up here?  ?

Do you have the front sheet metal off??  Installing the engine with the trans attached required some very steep angles which are mitigated if the dog house is removed.  If you still have fenders etc on the car I would do the engine and then put the trans in once the engine is located and secured to it's mounts.

Did your rebuilders not tell you about the necessity of doing a full head retorque after it has run through a full operating temp cycle?  If he did not he should have. He should have also given you a bolt sequence to follow while doing this process. Those bolts used for lifting would typically be among the last to be retightened.  So zqpping them down after the lift and then doing the retorque after running it up to temp would address any concerns about being properly torqued.