miss under load

What does the glass sedient bowl look like under the fuel pump?  You may be bringing up particulate matter from the gas tank and plugging that new filter.   Could also be a sticky valve, or ignition problem.  Are all ignition wires tightly connected?  How about inside the distributor??   Just some stuff to try

Well from the sound of your last three words is you have some fuel line restriction rust, crushed fuel line, and or sized advance fly weights in distributor. Just saying?

IME, a miss under load can be categorized as fuel or spark by the way it acts at lower speed, high load versus higher speed and load.  If, for instance, you are at 30-35mph, high gear, and open the throttle and that results in a miss, I'd bet on ignition.  If it misses after gaining speed, with lighter load but constant, usually fuel.

In the first instance, my usual suspects would be, plugs, wires, point gap, condenser, cap and rotor, in that order.  I've found newer resistance wire with resistor plugs to be a bad combo.

Otherwise, I'd install a fuel pressure gauge, even a temp tee back to the gauge laying on the dash.  See if it maintains pressure when missing.  That's after checking filters of course.

Check the suction flex  hose at the fuel pump...old cracked sucking air?

• 3 weeks later...

Over on one of the Power Wagon sites, www.dodgepowerwagon.com, one of the guys was having a problem that turned out to be caused by the fuel line in the tank sucking up chunks of sealant that were sitting in the tank.  These chunks would find their way to the tube and block the opening of the tube.  Then after letting the truck sit for a while (not running), he could start the engine again, presumably because the sealant had fallen back to the bottom of the tank and unblocked the tube opening.  It's conceivable that something like this is going on with yours.  The others have offered good suggestions, but I figured I would mention this one as well.

Edited by Matt Wilson

The pick-up tube in an original gas tank can have pin holes in it too. The last bend at the  base of tank is where I've found them on tanks I've dissected.

Take a look at neglected tank I gave up on and how the deal is put together inside. If you drive it with the gas tank near empty........

1950 PH Gas tank....a look inside.

48D

• Thanks 1