Maine 2019

pflaming

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

We are enjoying our time out here. Simply beautiful.

9672F6CC-A9BC-48D9-A50C-EAFD0A6C69BA.jpeg

How’s the lobster tasting Paul ? Do you have a summer home there? Does it have a guest room??

Lobster is good, oysters are great. I’m preparing a lot on the shore of the Kennebec River for a permanent summer home, then we will have a guest room for those who arrive in a P15 or D24 or like vehicles. 

Two weeks ago I severely strained the minacious in my knee so been laid up, it’s getting to where I can now walk short distances, so can do some light work.

With the use of grandkids, a tractor, and a winch, we will clear this lane to the river. Then rent a good tractor with a skip loader and rear blade and scrape, dig,, shape, drag, etc a solid all weather surface on that lane. Finally, clean and landscape the site for a nice summer RV. 

A1F8D5CE-9E2F-4FBD-AEAA-6CF91329DFB8.jpeg

On 7/4/2019 at 6:14 AM, pflaming said:

We are enjoying our time out here. Simply beautiful.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:14 AM, pflaming said:

9672F6CC-A9BC-48D9-A50C-EAFD0A6C69BA.jpeg

Great picture. I love Maine. We try to go every  year. We went on an old car tour up to that area a couple of years ago. In Kennebunkport we took a couple of small boats out to Goat Island. If your pic is Kennebunkport Harbor, I think we left from the smaller pier in the background. Goat Island has an old working lighthouse and is just across the water from the (Presidents) Bush compound. We toured the light house and had a BBQ lunch with the light house keeper. The weather was perfect. Wish I was there now.

Is that D24 not far north of Waldoboro?  I don't recall the road number, I saw one in someone's yard after I met Glenn a couple years ago, but haven't been back in the area to scope it out better.  I do recall cringing when I saw it, though.  I've got a buddy up here that has two D24s that might make up one car between them.  Even that has some useable parts we could harvest. 

Yes. I took the photo today. It is a complete car. I stopped and took a semi close up look. It has a standard transmission.  Give me a parts and I will take a closer look. 

That car is CRUSTY!! Certainly looks like it has some useable parts though such as the grille. Also, the back window is different in a coupe than a sedan and can be hard to find. It is the only curved glass in the car and cannot be cut by a glass shop. If it looked better when cleaned it would be worth pulling it out if the owner is willing.

Update : July 15. Three weeks ago I slipped on a stair and hyperextended a ligament in my right knee. Saturday was the first day I could walk up and down stairs without using the hand rail, and then only one step at a time. So have pretty much been house bound. Hopefully that now will change. 

This is beautiful country, temps been in the high 70’s and mid 80’s. Unlike Fresno, the air is pure, great for my lungs. This weekend we may do a two day trip to the Moosehead region. Will up date accordingly.  

Photo: Kennebec River bank where we are preparing an RV summer vacation site. Due to my bad knee, now far behind schedule. 

FA6439C9-8705-4BF9-AADE-882D541F4FAC.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody discovered the difference between a lobster pond and a lobster pound?  Is the pound for those who have escaped from the pond and are considered strays?  But then again there are signs for a lot wierd stuff in Maine . Have seen Only Oil Changes and More, Rustic Funature and Fudge, Taimed Wild Blueberries, who does the training?  Country Bakery and Bait and Tackle,  Free Municiple Parking, $5.00 all-day Saturday and Sunday.  Narrow Bridge weight limit 6 tons, Trucks over 8 tons obey 5 MPH Speed! And then there are the trailer liscence plates that say semi perminant is that like somewhat all the time?  Sun and Pine Nature Lodge Walk-Ins welcomed was intriguing also.

Edited by greg g

We've lived in Maine a little over four years now, still trying to figure things out.  Fortunately, we live in "The County"..."The way Maine used to be".  And, while they do have/do some weird stuff up here, most of that malarkey you cite is downstate, the other side of Bangor from us, which is kind of the dividing line between northern and southern Maine.  I know what things the locals call differently, and can at least restate stuff in the local vernacular when I get that glazed expression wondering what I just said...  Most folks up here start getting antsy as soon as they get on I-95 and start heading south. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Most folks up here start getting antsy as soon as they get on I-95 and start heading south. 

And so they should. The farther north I drive in Maine, the more I like it. The coastal towns and lighthouses are interesting, but get repetitious after a time. 

4DD240B3-5551-43EB-BE66-E1903BD77822.jpeg

• Like 2