observation....

Plymouthy Adams

I am beginning to prep a hood for one of the 62 dodge cars and while it will need a bit of understructure repair and replacement of metal....I still can handle that a lot better than anyone spraying a body panel in flat black...the only thing that is at home on a car in flat black is a busted tire and NODOBY even wants that.... 

Flat black seems popular with the vintage hotrod guys around here. They add red & white custom pin striping it seems. 

I can understand how a home hobby hack type of guy, trying to stay in a budget, would consider flat black. Might be able to get away with a home paint job if he has no desire to show the car. Just get out and cruise. 

I may or may not fall into that catagory. ?

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Frank...that hood is glass...and it also appears to be satin...different look, satin highlight I can deal with....but I cannot deal with a total satin black finish.....satin has just enough gloss to highlight....use flat and it totally detracts from the look......the four hood pins due to no structure strength built into the hood make this style mount a necessity....I just hope the man has no need to quickly throw open the hood to douse some flames......not in my opinion street material...

My flat black 34 showing body panel details and no pin stripe or busted tires. Never entered it in a show in the 16 years since I put it on the road but drive it all the time and most anywhere. Best trophy for me is smiles from kids young and old  as they wave or get to sit on the those tires for a picture. Don't mind touching up the sticky prints from them toddlers with ice cream either.

Dsc3.jpg

Well at least it appears that his does Not have a Ford straight axle ,brakes, spring, etc. Have seen a too many old Mopar car and truck bodies on others frames and no other Mopars parts on them.!

Please,  to those people -do not call your car a Mopar, just name it appropriately- Mutt!

Just 1 opinion, I know.

12 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Well at least it appears that his does Not have a Ford straight axle ,brakes, spring, etc. Have seen a too many old Mopar car and truck bodies on others frames and no other Mopars parts on them.!

Please,  to those people -do not call your car a Mopar, just name it appropriately- Mutt!

Just 1 opinion, I know.

well many rods of this vintage regardless of their mother company could be mopar 

Mostly

Old 

Parts
And 

Rusty

while I know that in the old days many of these cars were built with what was on hand and paint was expensive and budgets were very low.....this is not the case today....

16 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

.could be so much more...

Yes we all could be as well.

16 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

does Not have a Ford straight axle ,brakes, spring, etc

Good eye. 34 Plymouth body, frame, axle and suspension with the driveline & other components being 70 dodge era. 

11 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

Flat paint, Chevy in a Dodge, Chrysler in a Ford, I'm good with all that stuff. Diamond tucked velour interiors is where I draw the line! ?

with the first three ok in your book you draw a line at velour...….bet you have fuzzy dice on the mirror...….bet you ride a moped only after dark so not to be recognized ?